Need to Vacuum to waste with a DE filter w/ out Multi-valve or waste option

dw8625

Jul 9, 2014
Lowell, MA
I have a 24' above ground pool
-Hayward EC-50 DE filter
-Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp pump
-Baquacil products only

I had a cover malfunction over the winter and the bottom of the pool filled with leaves. I tried to do a normal start up but I believe the filter is overburdened and the pressure quickly drops out after regenerating. I figure my only two options would be to vacuum to waste the pool, which my filter doesn't have an option for, or to simply drain the pool and start again. I believe there has to be a method to vacuum to waste with my current configuration. I have an old pump which still works that I can also use if I need to. I've spent the better part of the morning watching different youtube videos to no avail. if anyone could offer help or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Please feel free to write back should you require anymore info. Thanks in advance for anyones help with this issue.

Reactions: mdrinan
Welcome to TFP dw8625.

I too have a 24ft pool and a DE filter without a waste feature. I've never had a swamp but, I know I have helped a fellow member vac to waste with a DE filter and this is how you are going to do it. You can do it by yourself or get a helper. :goodjob:

Fill your vac hose with water. Cap the end of the vac hose with your hand an pull it over the side of the wall at the lowest point and let the water rush out of the hose. You have essentially started a siphon and can pull the junk off the bottom of the pool. It may take a couple times before you get it but it works. :cool: Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thank you guys. I tried this and it worked flawlessly. It took the water level down an inch but cleared all the dirt and other stuff off the floor of the pool. This method believe it or not works better than the actual vacuum system for the pump. Greatly appreciate the help. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.