Pool pump bearings going bad???

Jul 5, 2011
Oakland, TN
So I have taken over the maintenance of my mother in laws 24k gallon inground saltwater pool for about a month now. Yesterday this happens. Very loud noise coming from the impeller area.

http://youtu.be/P2AqoeXArZE

Does this sound like the bearings are going bad?

I started to try and take it apart but didn't get too far and I noticed sand in the bolt holes and underneath pump like it was leaking from the sand filter somehow.
My mother in law does have the pump covered under warranty as it was replaced in 2011 but there is a $75 "service" fee from AHS. Only issue is she is supposed to have a birthday pool party this weekend and at their mercy as when they can come fix it so I was wondering if this is something fairly easy for a novice YouTube instructed handyman? Also is OK to have it running like this for about an hour a day just to get the chlorine generated?

Pool specs:
24k IG Vinyl
Hayward Swim pure SWG
Sand Filter
Century AO Smith 3/4 HP pool pump

I can't see the video here at work, but an hour a day of run time will not be enough time for the SWG to make the chlorine that the pool needs. Just add enough bleach for 3 ppm and run it to mix the chlorine in for an hour or so.

Sounds like bad bearings to me.

I would call DIY bearings an intermediate job. You'll need a puller to get the old bearings off, and a way to get the new ones on. A press would be best, but it can be done with a hammer and a stub of black pipe. Once I had the correct bearings, I was able to do mine (with no prior experience) in about 3 hours. I'm sure I could cut it down to one if I had to do it again.

As for letting it run, that's a really hard question. Bearings are tricky, because complete failure is impossible to predict. Some seem to go forever and the noise drives people to get them fixed. Others make very little noise then fail quickly. There's really no way to tell.

Thanks a three hour job for you would be a five hour job for me likely the pool company is coming tomorrow to take a look at the pump thanks everyone. Also what about the sand that was in the bolt holes and under the pump and also the salt deposits coming from the bottom of the pump should I be concerned about that?

24x52 ABG / 19" 100 # sand filter
1.5 HP Eco-kleer pump / Taylor K-2006 test kit

Update: AHS sent a repairman out this morning and they ended up replacing the bearings, shaft seal, and something else on the pool circulation pump. I know AHS doesn't have the best reputation but in this case having all this done for the $75 fee was a great value to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.