new equipment checklist

dumbcluck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
long beach, CA
ok, as we are nearing reality with the pool being brought back to life I feel it is time to get some real feedback on the equipment we are considering. it is not going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination so we want to do it right the first time. some of you have offered ideas and opinions before so bear with me please as I go over this again. we are in the neighborhood of $7k with all this stuff so if anything is ridiculous or unneeded or just not worth it, now is the time to voice your opinion.
we have roughly a 20k gallon pool and will be adding a 7' or maybe even 8' round spa 18" raised with spillover.
equipment choices up for debate-
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Ultra Energy-Efficient Pool Pump, 230V
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP520 Cartridge 520 sq. ft. In Ground Pool Filter
Pentair 520543 EasyTouch 4 Function Control Pool/Spa Combo with IC40
Pentair 522104 ScreenLogic Interface and Wireless Connection Kit Bundle
Pentair 640131 IntelliBrite 5g Color Spa Light with 50' Cord, 12V
Pentair 601010 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED 12V, 30W, 30' Cord with Stainless Steel Face Ring Pool Light
Raypak 009243 Digital Low NOx Natural Gas 399,000 BTU Pool Heater
probably 3 return lines in pool, one in spa. 8 jets in spa (don't know which kind)
split main drain and one skimmer (undetermined)
maybe some some jandy valves? (don't really know yet)
OG white plaster
basic light blue 6 x 6 tiles (similar to what we have now)
some white safety grip porous coping (same style as now)
basic old cement decking. nothing fancy here.
mellow style, bombastic functionality.(hopefully)
in other words, we are more interested in whats under the hood than the paint job.
what do you think?:confused:

I don't see the most important part, your TF-100 test kit, make sure you have one before the pool gets filled!

The equipment sounds good to me, make sure you use the Jandy never lube valves and stay away from all ball valves.

Make sure the plumbing and pump can handle 8 jets in the spa, you don't want to have to add a booster pump later on if the jets are too weak.

Thanks ping. Of course a test kit. How silly of me to forget to add it to the list.
The pump is 3hp so I think it would be sufficient. How many jets do you run in your spa?
I see you are also in long beach. Did you build your pool or buy with house?
Are the solar panels worth the investment? Does your pool stay warm without heating?
Thanks for the input.

We have 5 jets and our pump is rated 2 HP with a service factor of 1.3 to give 2.6 HP and our jets are just right for my liking.

We had our pool built almost 4 years ago.

My wife uses the pool for teaching and the solar panels are a must for us especially in the early spring and fall months. Right now without using a cover the pool usually starts out at 82-83 degrees and ends the day around 86 degrees. I have the solar dialed back so the pool doesn't get too warm, with these temps the solar only runs for an hour or so a day. This year we had the pool at 80 degrees in late February but you need a cover along with the solar to reach that temp, and don't forget, we had a warm winter.

The spa is 7' diameter and 95% of 400k heater is used for the spa. In the early and late season we might use the heater to bump up the water temp if needed. Check PM for my comments on my builder.

I'm positive that the solar panels have already paid for themselves in the amount of gas that we would have used without the solar panels. With a cover and the panels we usually have the water in the 80's from late March through the end of November. After September the pool doesn't get used as much because the weather is not that warm, but this year might be different as the wife is thinking of extending the lessons into winter as a lot of her clients want year round lessons. Two of my kids play polo and they are in other pools 5-7 days a week and don't use our pool that much.

I have all Pentair equipment. EasyTouch/SmartTouch is great.

I have the Pentair variable speed IntelliFlow rated at 3HP and I drive a 17k gallon IG pool with attached Spa (5 jets) and spillway. Plenty of juice from that pump as I mostly run it on low speed (2500 rpm ~ 1kW power usage).

I have a Pentair gas heater (400k BTU/hr) and it works great. I can't say much about solar, neighbors have them, but gas is cheap where we are so I prefer the simplicity of a gas heater.

Have you considered a SWG chlorination system? You pay for it in upfront cost but it mostly frees you from being a jug dumper with liquid chlorine.

Oh, and I'm sure this is just personal preference, but DE filters are the best in my opinion in terms of water clarity. I guess you have to fit your budget, but I went with DE and I can say that, compared to my neighbors sand filter, my pool looks much better than his....but he also wastes $1500 a year on a pool service guy too :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks sunny. Yeah I have an ic40 on my list above. Comes with easy touch pool/spa combo. I'm thinking that a cartridge filter would just be a lot easier to clean than de which was my first thought.
I also understand raypak heaters are a little better quality and quieter than the master temp. Haven't checked them out firsthand though. (Or any of this stuff actually)
How do you like the kreepy krawly? I am sort of looking into what kind of cleaning method I will use now. I don't want to hire any body to clean the pool and I'll do what I can but I do like being lazy and swimming more than cleaning...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.