Modern Light for an old pool light niche

Jun 25, 2014
Houston, TX
My current fixture needs replaced. While it doesn't appear to have any leaks, it either has in the past or has 45 years of lifespan ended. Looks too sketchy for me to let the kids swim with it in the water either way. Light has no labels, manufacturer or id anywhere but appears to be a Purex CHD or equivalent. I would like to replace the fixture without having to have a whole new niche installed. The problem is that the old niche seems to be a bit small for any modern fixture. Outer diameter of the current fixture ring is 10". The niche is slightly smaller than that. Any ideas on a modern fixture that will fit in the old niche?

Clearly this old pool needs some updates but it is a surprisingly nice pool for its age and matches the house perfectly. I am also new to the forum and have been reading the chemistry stuff daily and getting mine straight after decades of a pool service who did nothing other than dropping in pucks thus cranking up my CYA levels to ridiculous.

Thanks,
Kevin

Our old Starrite (for the pool) and American Products (for the spa) both have 10.5 in in diameter. I also replaced both with Pentair Interllibrite 5G white light fixture (500w/300w) and they fit in the existing niches with the screw hole and tab lined up perfectly. Granted Pentair own both Starrite and American Products but the LED fixture is much shorter/flater (same diameter) than the old fixtures. I am not sure if all niches have the same design but if yours has one screw hole and a tab on the opposite side, mostly likely Pentair 5G will fit. I hestitated to do this change years ago due the high cost of the 5G but I am so glad I did both this year, one at a time, just in case. The 300w for the spa is over kill and is little too white (reflection from the opposite wall is too much) compared to the pool's blueish color but that's the lowest power they have.

Tip to change: Test fit the new fixture first to make sure it fits. Have someone push the old cable into the niche while another person pull at the terminal end. Without the cable being pushed into the niche, I don't know if I ever could pull the cable out myself. It felt heavy (or even stuck) but I never tried to pull without assistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.