How to fix this cracked coupling

Sep 11, 2013
DFW Metroplex
I am not sure how to fix this cracked coupling considering its current setup. I appreciate any recommendation.

Jand Value over 2" coupling -->Coupling (black arrow; 1" crack below the arrow and sucking air) --> Pump

811f5f55-2c5c-4cae-9d3c-f5a586d1cb6b.jpg

The mess was created my me. :mad: I tried sealing the crack with PVC cement and epoxy, it didn't work. I am not sure where to cut and how to fix this.

I am not sure what connections are threaded and which are not. If the pipe is screwed into the pump then possibly you can unscrew from pump. then unscrew the cracked assembly from the Jandy never lube valve, and then rebuild from pump to valve. when rebuilding consider putting a union in there.

I would take and remove the screws from the Jandy and remove the valve's innards. Then I'd measure how much of the Jandy port sticks into the PVC. I'd then cut the PVC at that length and you'll end up with a ring of PVC still on the Jandy port. Remove all the other piping back to the pump union.

At this point you could glue an adapter into the interior diameter of the Jandy port (I think a 1.5" PVC pipe size will fit). That adaptor or another in combination with it can bring your piping back up to 2" to connect with your pump. you'll need a new union half 'cause there's no salvaging the existing union.

The reduction from 2" to 1.5" for that short segment isn't the greatest solution but I don't think it won't cause much harm and it will get you going for the time being.

A different, but very advanced approach would be to heat, cut, and peel off the 2" PVC ring remaining on the Jandy valve. That would get you back to 2" pipe all the way, but that is truly an advanced approach. That might be something a plumber may tackle for you.

Good Luck

I have been able in the past to cut the pipe back near the joint, then carefully cut a groove on the inside of the pipe being carefully not to cut the fitting. You can then take a flat screw driver and pry between the pipe and fitting and break it loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little late to the party but if you are still considering options, may I recommend getting this product:
http://www.plast-aid.com/
It is an indispensable product to have when needing a fix for plastics, pvc, cpvc, etc. (not good for abs), even in a wet environment. It has solved many leak issues for me.

Regards,
-Gary

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.