Central MD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

For the past few mornings I have noticed small worm-like creatures on our walk in steps. They appear white/ivory in the water and, when I scoop them out with the net, they seem somewhat gelatinous and translucent in appearance. I have noticed a few others on the shallow end floor, but they are primarily on the steps, or at least that is where they are most visible. They number anywhere from 3 - 10 every morning.

Any ideas what these are or where they could be coming from? Or, better yet, how do I keep them away?

Thanks for your help!

I'm pretty comfortable it's not maggots. :-D

A pic will likely have to wait until tomorrow morning as I've fished out today's crop. I have "toyed" with one before while it was on the net and I can't make out any discernable features to it. It seems to lose its defined edges once removed from the water (becomes blob-like). As an added note, we have a possibility of mustard algae showing up. It has also been quite hot and humid here, causing dry conditions, and could just be dust and pollen from trees and the occasional mowing of the lawns.

Results, courtesy of my wife:

FC - 9.5
CC - 0.0
TC - 9.5
PH - 7.7
Alk - 100
Temp - 80
CYA - 30

I must say, I'm a bit suprised on the chlorine as I tested it last evening and got 4.5. I put in a gallon of the good stuff which should have yielded a 4.1 increase (per Pool Calculator). Perhaps the strength of the bleach was a bit higher than 12.5%.

A friend of mine used to get slugs in his bathroom ALL the time. Mostly around the bathtub. They would squeeze through the cracks in the floor and just hang out. We had lots of fun pouring salt on them tho :twisted: They sorta resembled the worms you describe, so I thought I'd mention it lol

Now that's just plain creepy. How did that thing fit in the cricket?

Anyway, go figure, there was none this morning to take a photo of. I'm glad, but now somewhat disappointed in a strange way that I can't share this with you. FYI - I've never seen them move, which makes me happy.

Also, I tested the chlorine after sun down last evening and got 5.5, which I guess isn't too surprising to see a 4 ppm drop given it was a full day of sun and 90 degrees (with a CYA of 30). Tested again this morning and got 5.0, so I don't think I have anything to worry about with organics in the pool. Someone want to reassure me on that one? I've got a pool party later today.

Thanks to all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, they are back this morning. The only thing I can think as to why there were none yesterday is that we had the solar cover on Friday night. I also noticed them on the skimmer socks, so it is more than just the steps.

Pictures attached. Any help with identification is appreciated.
[attachment=0:5zvz8n0h]DSC_2873-1.JPG[/attachment:5zvz8n0h]
[attachment=1:5zvz8n0h]DSC_2870.JPG[/attachment:5zvz8n0h]

Attachments

• DSC_2870.JPG
    DSC_2870.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC_2873-1.JPG
    DSC_2873-1.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 263
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.