pool noob - dirt coming out of returns

Hayward 36 sg ft filter and hayward pump, IG vinyl pool - i can get more info if necessary. 1st time pool guy so hopefully this is somewhat clear.

So I turned on my filter the other day and it looked like cloudy water/dirt came out of all the returns. I backwashed and added DE but now it seems like dirt (maybe DE too?) is coming out of the returns. It's not cloudy coming out, and definitely not like it was at first, and I can maybe see a little dirt specks floating - but I notice it more right under the return on the steps is dirty. Also there is dirt, maybe DE - I am not sure, on the bottom gathering. How do I know if it is DE or just regular dirt? Did I possibly not add enough DE back in or is something else going on? The filter pressure is under 10 now and i'm pretty sure it was at 10 yesterday after I backwashed. Any troubleshooting tips?

Turn off the pump. Hold a sock over the return while someone turns on the pump. Then you can turn the sock inside out to see what came out.

If it only happens after you backwash, you may not be rinsing (if you can, I can't) or you may not be letting it settle long enough after backwashing. I let mine settle for about 5 minutes before going back to filter.

Turn off the pump. Hold a sock over the return while someone turns on the pump. Then you can turn the sock inside out to see what came out.

If it only happens after you backwash, you may not be rinsing (if you can, I can't) or you may not be letting it settle long enough after backwashing. I let mine settle for about 5 minutes before going back to filter.

Thanks, I do have a rinse option so I will backwash again tomorrow and try that. I will try the sock also and see what happens. I held the net in front earlier and it looked like just dirt but not sure if that would catch DE or not.

Re: pool noob - dirt coming out of returns (now with new backwashing question!)

So I tried backwashing and I backwashed first for about 3 minutes, then rinsed, then backwashed 2 more times for about 1-2 minutes and rinsed each time for about a minute but the water does not seem to be getting clear and I can see dirt/sand, maybe DE (just a guess) in the clear water viewer thing. I stopped backwashing just because I am losing a lot of water and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. What should my next step be? Should I open the filter and look for anything/clean it? (haven't done this before - not sure if my pool guys would do this when opening the pool and look at it?) Any other tips?

Also, when backwashing, should I be switching the valves from backwash to rinse right away I turn my pump off or should I be waiting at all or does it not matter? Also, when I push down the multiport valve handle I hear water running at first - should I just switch the valves quickly or let the water run through or whatever it is doing? I have a Hayward Pro Grid 36 sq ft micro clear filter.

Also, in the mean time I now have to go to work - should I just not run my filter right now???

I don't concern myself with what is viewed in the dome on the filter. As long as you backwash until water runs clear, then rinse, you should be fine. Your pressure gauge will tell you if you didn't do a good job.

There is no harm in going from backwash, then pump off, then rinse right away. I don't have a rinse setting on my valve, so I can only assume it is OK to go from rinse to filter. Without a rinse, you need to wait a while for the sand to settle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.