Boatman/Backswimmers in pool

We have an 18' round pool. Last year we ended up with either boatman/backswimmers in our pool (Side note when we closed we also had mold in our sand filter). This year we are using CDX as was suggested by our local pool store based on our previous issues. We had not had any issues this year until today. I'm not sure which of the two bugs we have.

Our chemical were tested today and the only thing out of line was the alkalinity. The pool store workers had no idea of what I was talking about or any suggestions. Everything I've read said that I need to add algicide but the pool store told me no.

Our Sanitizer level was 23
pH 6.3( adding alk today)
Oxidizer 117
Calcium 146

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I can't really offer any advice you need because you are running a BAQ pool. Our usual recommendations are to run a higher FC level which you can't do. I believe I have read that algaecide has helped too. You need to be careful with which type of algaecide you add so you are not adding copper. We recommend PolyQuat 60 but again, you are running BAQ and I'm unclear if you can use the PolyQuat with BAQ.

Lets wait and see what others can offer. :cool:

Welcome to TFP.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add I do not have any visible algae in my pool. Pool water is crystal clear. I believe the boatman eat algae and backswimmers eat boatman. The only other thing the pool store had to offer me in terms of help was a suggestion to find out what eats the bugs and buy a fake whatever and place near the pool. Of course one eats the other.

I have no idea but chlorine will kill them but you can't use it unless you do a conversion and it seems as though you may be happy with the BAQ at the moment. My guess is using an algaecide without copper in it.

Most of us have limited, if any, experience maintaining a baq pool. Most of our experience is converting them to chlorine, so please forgive us if we aren't able to offer much help.

Generally I have seen these bugs most in non-chlorine pools and chlorine pools with a fairly low FC level in relation to it's CYA. My father has them due to his relatively low FC levels and I had them when I used a pool frog and kept only a 0.5 FC level. I must say I never had any real issues with them, mostly live and let live. If I managed to net one out I would put it on the ground and step on it, but that was about it.

As for a decoy, I'm pretty sure that only works with animals. I have never set out a giant fake spider to solve a fly problem.

I'm a baquacil convert and I couldn't be happier. You could do a conversion mid season, but if your levels are high it'll take lots and lots of chlorine to kill the baqua. How big is your pool? You could do a partial to 3/4 drain and start with much lower levels if that is feasible. You still have to go through the conversion process with a drain because you have to get rid of the baqua that's hiding out in all the plumbing.

I love to read the conversion threads on here. People with way bigger pools than me have done it and I'm just fascinated with their stories. Read through some of them when you get the chance.

To the original problem, When I see those pesky little critters in my pool, it is usually after a heavy rain. since I'm in there vacuuming up the trash left by the storm, I vacuum the bugs too. They cannot survive without being able to surface to replace their breathing bubble.

Sorry no Baquacil pool here. I had those pesky bugs last year and a few this year early. I raised my FL last year and that seemed to keep them away for a while. Still had 1-5 here and there. I ran my FC levels a little to close for comfort though....
A few weeks ago I borated my pool with MA and 20 Mule team borax and haven't seen a 1 yet! Not sure if there is a connection but it hasn't hurt it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.