Dirt Bypassing Cartridge

Jul 8, 2014
East Coast
I have an Aquatech cartridge filter. When I moved in about 2 and 1/2 years ago, I was told the filter was pretty new.

I've noticed sand coming out of the return jets, and it collects at the bottom of the pool. I've vacuumed it multiple times, just for it to come back through the jets an hour later.

I opened the filter and did a quick inspection of the cartridge a couple of times within the past couple of weeks. The cartridge media seems to have no punctures. The thing that confuses me is that whenever I take the lid off of the filter, there is sometimes sand and water on top of the cartridge. It looks like that water and debris is going above the cartridge. The cartridge looks white and nearly brand new.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem, or knows how to fix it? Is it likely that the pleats are clogged? The pool has gone green numerous times within the past couple years, although it is usually cleaned every week or two weeks (I know it is excessive).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sometimes the plate that goes on top of the cartridges can come loose and allow debris to bypass the cartridge so make sure the cartridges are well seated and the plate is on tight.

My filter is an Aquatech MYB100. It was manufactured exclusively for Aquatech by Pac Fab Inc. The cartridge is a Porpoise C-7699. I have attached pictures of the interior of the filter, along with the water and dirt (or sand) on top of the cartridge. There isn't much sand on the cartridge, but you get the point; there has been more in the past. I just noticed a hole on the pipe that the filter wraps around (it is circled in red in one of the pictures). Is this hole supposed to be there? Is there supposed to be a cover on top of the cartridge?

filter.jpg
2z50vpl.jpg

10gzf3o.jpg
vpu83a.jpg

Looks like the filter is damaged in the end cap (blue part) so it is not sealing very well. That and/or the hole is probably where it is leaking. Not sure about the hole but it doesn't look like it should be there. I am wondering if is missing an end cap that fits on top of both.

Looks like the filter is damaged in the end cap (blue part) so it is not sealing very well.

It's hard to see in the picture, but I can tell in person that the parts of the end cap that are not broken do not make a seal around that pipe in the center (there is also no o-ring).

That and/or the hole is probably where it is leaking. Not sure about the hole but it doesn't look like it should be there.

The cap of the pipe where the top of the cartridge touches (see the last picture) is actually a hexagon (where a tool would be used to tighten or loosen the top). I'm thinking that portion above the hexagon (the part of the pipe above the top of the cartridge) is sealed off, so the hole would not matter. The hole looks like it would have came that way from the factory. At http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-140-pac-fab-mytilus-filter-parts.aspx (part #10), there is a little strainer that comes with that cap. Does anyone know what that is for, is that possibly to cover the hole?

I am wondering if is missing an end cap that fits on top of both.

There is only one cartridge. I just did some research, and I think my filter might be missing parts 12 & 13 of http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-140-pac-fab-mytilus-filter-parts.aspx. Anyone else have a single cartridge filter and know if there is supposed to be a cover? This video (@ 1:39) shows no cover.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is also sometimes sand at the bottom of the filter, also.

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-140...ter-parts.aspx (part #10), there is a little strainer that comes with that cap. Does anyone know what that is for, is that possibly to cover the hole?
That is probably for bleeding the air trapped in the top of the filter.

There is only one cartridge. I just did some research, and I think my filter might be missing parts 12 & 13 of http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-140...ter-parts.aspx. Anyone else have a single cartridge filter and know if there is supposed to be a cover? This video (@ 1:39) shows no cover.
I agree. It looks like those may be missing. But the cartridge in the video is different than yours. The cap may be in the end of the dome. For a cartridge filter, there must always be something that seals off the end of the cartridge. Otherwise, it won't work.

My reply within your post in red
It's hard to see in the picture, but I can tell in person that the parts of the end cap that are not broken do not make a seal around that pipe in the center (there is also no o-ring). In the pictures, the blue portion of the cartridge appears to be splintered along the edges and on the top

The cap of the pipe where the top of the cartridge touches (see the last picture) is actually a hexagon (where a tool would be used to tighten or loosen the top). I'm thinking that portion above the hexagon (the part of the pipe above the top of the cartridge) is sealed off, so the hole would not matter. The hole looks like it would have came that way from the factory. At http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-140-pac-fab-mytilus-filter-parts.aspx (part #10), there is a little strainer that comes with that cap. Does anyone know what that is for, is that possibly to cover the hole?I believe the hole is part of the air release. There is an air release valve on the outside of the filter casing next to the pressure gauge that allows you to release trapped air in the filter. The little strainer is part of the air release system. If you don't have all the parts for the air release system it could be letting dirt bypass the filter.

There is only one cartridge. I just did some research, and I think my filter might be missing parts 12 & 13 of http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-140-pac-fab-mytilus-filter-parts.aspx. Anyone else have a single cartridge filter and know if there is supposed to be a cover? This video (@ 1:39) shows no cover. This page shows all the pieces for your cartridge filter model. If you don't have all these pieces, including caps and o-rings your filter will not function correctly. The filter in the video is a completely different brand from what you have, so you can't go by it to determine if your filter is missing any pieces.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is also sometimes sand at the bottom of the filter, also.

Would it hurt anything if I take the top housing of the filter off and run the pump to see what happens. Yes, I understand I might loose some water without the top on, and it will not function correctly with the extra water falling off of the edge of the lower housing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going to turn it on for not very long, I will play with it and try to see if any water is leaking through a seal at the bottom that holds the cartridge. I'm also hoping the pressure from the pump will push the water up high enough to see where exactly the water is bypassing the cartridge.

The water enters the filter through the side of the housing not through the cartridges. It leaves the filter through the center of the cartridges after passing through the cartridge media.

But I suspect that because you do not have the top plate, that is where the debris is bypassing the cartridge.

The filter in the video is a completely different brand from what you have, so you can't go by it to determine if your filter is missing any pieces.

The reason I was posting that video was because I was thinking that all single cartridge filters functioned the same. They can't all be that different in function. Aren't they all going to have the dirty water coming out through the core of the cartridge? I guess mine could be designed for a higher flow rate or pressure or something if it needs a seal on the top of the cartridge. I really don't know; I might be over thinking this. I wish there was some resource that showed how single-cartridge filters operate.

- - - Updated - - -

The water enters the filter through the side of the housing not through the cartridges. It leaves the filter through the center of the cartridges after passing through the cartridge media.

But I suspect that because you do not have the top plate, that is where the debris is bypassing the cartridge.

Oh, I was wondering which way the water flowed. The diagram for my filter does not show a full on cap, just a "cartridge adapter"; this thing. Maybe this acts as a cap.

So is it safe to run the filter open to troubleshoot?

That piece helps seal around the inside of the cartridge and prevent the debris from bypassing the filter. Plus your cartridge has a big hunk of plastic missing which makes it that much easier to bypass dirt.

Again, you won't accomplish anything by running the filter without the top.

As both I and Zea mentioned earlier. The inner ring of the cartridge is ragged where it looks as though a piece of the rubber has been taken out. That inner ring is used to seal the cartridge, along with part # 13 (adapter). You have part #10 already although you main need the strainer too. so you might want to consider a new cartridge if the ring below does not work.

watermark.axd

I have not ordered the parts yet. I am aware that adapter is necessary, but I was wondering if the strainer is also really necessary. Would that strainer block the sand, though? That's what I'm wanting to know.

And yes, if the parts did not fix the problem, the cartridge would be replaced. That was my backup plan.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.