Where to start ..

May 5, 2014
Addison, TX
Good day to the experts!

We just purchased our first home and moved in last week. We are thrilled and could not be more excited about the pool. Knowing we were going to be pool owners for the last few months I have done a ton of research and decided I wanted to go with the TFP/BBB method of pool maintenance. One walk through the local pool store looking at their prices had me convinced.

Moving on to the important details:
I received my TF100 kit last night and ran all the tests this morning.

FC - 4.5
CC - 0.5
CH - 550-650 (Tap water was 200)
TA - 180
CYA - 100-120
PH - 8.2
Temp - 85

Clearly the previous owners used tablets as evidenced by the high cya and empty buckets in the shed.
The pool does have a little algae on the sides and I have been brushing daily, the water is clear and generally looks good. I had been dumping a jug of Clorox in every evening for the last week while waiting for the kit to arrive and that has helped tremendously.
I have read pool school in depth and many other threads, so I have a good idea that a Slam is in my future and a water exchange.

So my question is where do I start with attempting to level and stabilize the pool?

My other issue is with the DE filter, I took it all apart last night and hosed everything down. The pressure gauge was broken so I ordered and installed a new one from TFT. Now my pressure displays over 25psi and I haven't even add the DE yet. Is there anyway that once I add it the pressure will drop? That seems counterintuitive to me, so what could possibly be wrong with the filter. I did backwash again once it was all together and the pressure did not change.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Ok I figured out the filter issue. I had the Polaris hooked up and the jandy was directing all the return water to the cleaning return port obviously this was creating way too much pressure. As soon as I disconnected the Polaris the pressure returned to normal! Problem #1 solved!

While I agree long term you need to get teh CYA down, getting the pH down is something you can do today. Use Pool Math to figure out how much Muratic Acid you need and get that into range today if possible.

With CYA at 120 your FC should be around 13 - 14, but never below 9. Once you get the pH fixed get eh FC up to 13 - 14 until you either figure out how you will reduce the CYA or when you start the SLAM.

A SLAM at CYA 120 is very expensive. To give you an idea, these ar the shock levels for differing CYA levels:

120 46.7
100 39.1
90 35.2
80 31.4
70 27.5
60 23.7
50 19.8
40 16.0

The shock levels shown have equivalent disinfecting chlorine amounts (in a column) but at high CYA levels it may be impractical to use such high FC levels. A partial drain/refill to lower the CYA level is usually what is needed or one can shock at a lower level but will take longer to kill the algae.

The drain is underway!
It is somewhat sad to see all that water flowing down the street knowing what a drought we are in. Hopefully this is the last time I have to do this. Makes me wish people would take care of their things.

Most pool owners are clueless and are trusting in the "pool store" to guide them in their pool maintenance. The poor suckers don't have a chance! You made a great decision to become proactive in educating yourself and learning how to properly maintain your water through TFPC. It might be a hassle now, but once you get through it and understand how to keep your pool from becoming a swamp, you will jump for joy every time you jump in that sparkling pool! Good luck and Congratulations on finding TFPC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.