Need New Pump, Please help!

MTGEGAL

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
Overland Park, Kansas
Hello,

My Pentair 1.5hp, single speed pump just bit the dust. It was 11 years old, so I guess it served us well. Would really Appreciate any advise on a new model. My local pool company recommends the Hayward Super Pump. Says the variable speed is not needed in our area (Kansas City). We typically have the pool open from April thru October. Electric Rate is .13 per kwh. Electric bills are more than double with the pool open, so I would love to save money on the electric bill if I can. I currently have the pump on a timer and run the system from say 8am to 8pm - longer if needed. There are currently 2" lines to the pool.

Please share your experience with this Newbie! Thanks so much, in advance!!!

Is that cost correct? That is very cheap.

A small 2 speed pump like the 1 HP Superflo or Super Pump will give you a significant power savings when run on low speed.

What Pentair pump do you have now?

The Whisperflo is a bigger pump than the Superflo. Do you need that amount of flow?

Another option is to just replace the motor with a 2 speed version with new seals.

The existing pump looks to be a Whisperflo. That is a pretty high flow pump and will use more electricity than smaller pumps. Maybe you need that much flow for the waterfall feature. If not, a pump like Jason has suggested would be perfect. What is your flow like? More than you need? Just right?

If it is just your motor that has gone bad, you can replace the motor with a two-speed motor. Something like this.You can save a lot of energy by running on low speed. Also, you probably don't need to run your pump for 12 hours a day. Four hours might be plenty.

Your electricity rate is surprising. If you mean two cents per kWh, then it is too low. I used to live in Overland Park, and I would expect the residential rate to be something close to ten cents per kWh. Your local pool company is correct about the variable speed. At your electricity rate it will take a long, long time to repay the extra money that a VS pump costs.

The hubby wants the Pentair product again for ease of switching out. After Much research today, think I will go with the Pentair 'energy efficient single speed uprated" Model WFE-26. Looks like the full load amps are quite a bit lower than my current model. My calculations show over a $1.00 per day in electric savings. Plus the WFE-26 is $50 bucks cheaper to purchase. I hope this is the right choice!

Since you only use your waterfall feature on occasion, you can save considerable energy by getting a two-speed pump and running on low speed most of the time. The only time you would run on high is when you are running the waterfall. You might want to consider the Pentair WFDS-26.

Let's assume you can get the WFDS-26 for $615. Plus add $85 for a two speed switch, with a box and wiring to make it an even $700.
Let's also assume you can get the WFE-26 for $533.
Let's further assume that you would run the WFDS-26 for five hours on low and one hour on high (to run the waterfall) per day. The monthly cost to run that pump will be about $16.
Let's also assume that you would run the WFE-26 for six hours per day total. The monthly cost for that pump is about $40 (assuming that the motor is about 10 percent more efficient than a standard motor).

With those assumptions, it will take roughly seven months of operation to regain the extra cost of the two-speed pump. That would be less than two seasons for you. So, my recommendation would be for you to get a two-speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.