Cavitation problem, Help!

Jul 8, 2014
SACRAMENTO
So my pool was running fine for several months until last week, had sudden loss of pressure at the filter and rattling noises in the pump basket/ motor area.

Previously running 22-24mmHG, now it dropped to 5-7/
OUtput has been less than half of its usual.

I tried flushing the skimmer suction line with a towel wrapped hose, at the pump end, and water seems to be running fine back to the pool,
Opened up the motor to check the impeller and its not clogged.
No breaks in any baskets.

Also does not have enough backpressure to run the vacuum cleaner line, unless I divert all the output to that extension,

I tried putting some shock in the skimmer line overnight to see if I could expel any organic material this morning and that was no go.

I called a pool troubleshooter over to check my lines and he said he couldnt do much more for me after looking at my system, suggested to keep the vacuum running to decrase back pressure and extend motor life.

I never use the vacuum as I run a pool robot.

I have a small dribble coming from underneath the pump basket area, but see no obvious cracks otherwise and cant tell exactly where its from.

Just short of calling roto rooter to scope my intake anything else Im missing.

Welcome! :wave:
I have a small dribble coming from underneath the pump basket area, but see no obvious cracks otherwise and cant tell exactly where its from.
If water's getting out, air can get in.

Smother the pump with shaving cream and see if things improve. The foam will stop up air leaks until it gets sucked in itself. You might see the collapsed area as the foam gets pulled in.

If it's the shaft seal, that won't work to find it.

The next possibility is that there is something stuck in the impeller. But an air leak is more likely.

I tried the barbasol method, it didnt do anything new, I tried to feel if there was a vacuum coming from the pump area, but too scared to stick my fingers in any of the orifices.
I have attacked a picture of the schematic, there is definitely water leaking from this area, in front of the motor. I took the motor housing off the basket to check the impeller, which wasn't clogged.
I didnt acutally remove the impeller, as I didnt have a suitable tool to do so. So I'm thinking its a worn seal?

Jandy_Stealth_Original_zpsb2efb1f7.gif

replaced the seals, and all the orings, to the valve, basket and pump. Leaks went away, but not the noise.
Second opinion pool tech told me to replace the diffuser, and that solved the problem,
the diffusers are a glued two piece and mine became birttle at the joint and broke,
he said its becoming a growing problem and most of the time, its blamed on in ground line issues

Oh!!! :hammer:

I did not follow the causality. Not that the pipes cause the problem with the diffuser, but that the pipes are inaccurately blamed for the symptoms that are actually a problem with the diffuser.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.