Im just learning the forum but need a little advice

Jul 1, 2014
albuquerque
I have a 20X40 32000 gallon gunite pool, live in Albuquerque New Mexico. Sand filled pump....new to this pool stuff.
Drained pool to about 4 feet deep in the 8 foot deep end. Filled back up to start the TFP way. Levels are at: FAC 1.24
PH 7.7
TA 69
CH 400
CYA 109
PHOSPHATES 1000

So I really do not want to empty the pool again as this is wasteful and costly.

Any Ideas?

Are those your test results, or a pool store's?

The CYA test is the hardest test, and the one the pool stores get wrong the most. Your CYA could be 40 or it could be 200, or it could be in the 100 range after all.

How does the water look? If it's clear, and no algae patches, you could try maintaining it with high CYA and lower it slowly by replacing a few inches a week to water the lawns or whatever. I've done both so I know it can be done, but it wasn't easy and I don't recommend it. And I know it's impossible without a FAS-DPD chlorine test to measure the high FC levels you need to maintain for the CYA level.

Best suggestion I can make is to get a proper test kit and make decisions based on accurate test results.

Phosphates are immaterial in a balanced pool. Don't let the pool store sell you phos-free. The stuff must be made out of liquid gold, and it frequently causes problems and makes the pool turn milky.

The water is crystal clear....no algae...Is there a test kit that is recommended? I got a $30.00 one that seems pretty good, however I would really like one that gives me the numbers in the form that the pool store does.
Ypu should pick one of the recommended test kits. The $30 pool store kits won't cut it for your desired results.

Welcome to TFP

There is no reason for multiple decimal points that fool you into thinking the test its more accurate than it is.

The TF-100 is the test kit that is the best deal based on the amount of reagents you get and the warranty. See tftestkits.net or poolsupplyworld.com that ships from California.

I can give my real world experience with pool store testing. It was mandatory for me to take a water sample back once they installed my pool. I got $100 credit for letting them test it and tell me what i needed to do.

I ran the tests with my TF100 first to see how close they were. They told me I had a CYA level of 30. I had just filled with city water. I know I had a CYA of 0. I verified "0" this later on that evening just to practice the CYA test at home. They told me my FC was 5 and i had just tested it at 3. TA, PH, and CH were fairly close to my test results.

I was told to add 2 pucks a week, a bag of shock every 2 weeks, and half a bottle of algecide once a week. And to come back if the water got cloudy or green. I said..."you mean "WHEN" it gets cloudy "AND" green".

Dilute your pool water 50/50 with tap water and run the CYA test again. Then double the result. Anything at or over 100, you may be way over 100. There is no way to remedy this other than partial drain of the pool. If you are using granular or tablet products (dry chlorine of any kind) this is what is most likely what is causing your problem.

Dilute your pool water 50/50 with tap water and run the CYA test again. Then double the result. Anything at or over 100, you may be way over 100. There is no way to remedy this other than partial drain of the pool. If you are using granular or tablet products (dry chlorine of any kind) this is what is most likely what is causing your problem.
I think RobbieH is saying to do this when you get your new kit. It's pointless to double or otherwisr "trick" a test that is very likely bogus in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just had water tested...original levels:
PH 7.7
TA 69
CH 400
CYA 109
PHOSPHATES 1000

LOLOLOL....New levels..
PH 7.5
TA 82
CYA 65

Whats even better is that I have done nothing but maintained with chlorine bleach and baking soda. I cant wait for my TF-100 test kit to come.

Just had water tested...original levels:
PH 7.7
TA 69
CH 400
CYA 109
PHOSPHATES 1000

LOLOLOL....New levels..
PH 7.5
TA 82
CYA 65

Whats even better is that I have done nothing but maintained with chlorine bleach and baking soda. I cant wait for my TF-100 test kit to come.

Oh, pool store testing again :roll: Hurry up, TF100! This pool and its owner need you! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.