True hamburgers

KurtV

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
SE Louisiana
Next time you make hamburgers try this. For each pound of lean to very lean ground beef between two and four ounces of ground pork; more for leaner beef and less for fattier beef. They'll still taste like hamburgers but more so.

Most people don't detect a pork flavor but rave about these burgers.

I get the good old 80/20 ground beef...I know I could make them a little more healthy but it's a burger after all!

I will try the mix though, I've seen different recipes for that kind of mix before (or maybe it was the food network?)

Our favorite (and least healthy) are my greek burgers

Mix in garlic and some type of generic greek seasoning in the meat, grill, we use a French feta (from a local Mediterranean market) get some greek pita's, cut the burgers in 1/2 wrap pita around and enjoy (of course throwing any other condiments in there you'd like).

Messy but Yummy!

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth… We do a burger called, Talladega Burgers (not to be confused with my Talladega Pork Loin). …Talladega…because they go real fast! :goodjob:

It’s never an exact science…but this would be close:
• 3 pounds hamburger meat 75/25 (we use an infrared grill…flames are not a problem!)
• 1 pound of bacon (prefer ends & pieces…not the processed stuff…so it still taste like bacon!) If scraps are not available…a good thick slice bacon is a better choice. I fry my bacon in a large cast iron pot…yes, in left over bacon grease. I usually pull the bacon out before it gets to the crispy stage. Chop it up and add it to the meat.
• Medium size yellow onion chopped. (save the two stump ends and the outside peeling) Place in a metal strainer basket and lower into the hot bacon grease for about a minute. Dump this on top of the hamburger meat…don’t worry about the extra bacon grease.:grrrr:
• ½ pod (not ½ clove) of garlic. Use a garlic press or chop very fine…throw it in the mix
• 1 to 1 ½ tablespoon of Conecuh Steak and Hamburger Seasoning. (Conecuh is a local product…just make sure whatever you use is bold and salty!) …if not, add some extra salt. (if you think this is too much…you probably need to add MORE! :shock:
• ½ to 1 teaspoon of Zatarains Blackened Seasoning.
• 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke
• 1 to 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce (can also use Dale’s Marinade as a substitute).
• 1 to 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
• 2 eggs (closer to room temperature is better than right out of the refrigerator.
• 1 small can of mushrooms, drained. Chopped up fine.
• ½ pound of sharp cheddar cheese, grated. We put ours in the food processor.
• 1 large can of pineapple slices in heavy syrup (this does NOT go in the meat!)

I prefer the meat to be warmer that normal refrigerator temps…so I let mine sit out in a large covered bowl while I’m working on everything else. If it’s too cold you don’t get a good mix. Throw everything into the large bowl (except for the onion stumps/peels and the pineapple). I usually put on latex gloves and just grind away, squishing and mashing until everything is well blended. The more you work it the better it is. I then dig out a hunk and roll it in my hands (like homemade biscuits) so the ball is tight…you can also just squeeze the ball between your hands to make the ball tight. This helps everything to stick together better. Then start working them into a patty. Always make sure the center is pressed thinner than the sides (this helps with even cooking and prevents the “ball” effect that is common with homemade burgers). :goodjob: Place on wax paper and allow to come to room temperature. It will probably be close by the time you’re finished.

I normally use a “hot” grill. Throw the onion stumps and skins on a corner of the grill (excellent flavor). Add the patties to the grill and let the fun begin. A few minutes later, add the pineapple slices to the grill. After turning the patties…find a test patty and poke it with your spatula. When the juices are showing just a tinge of red and clear…in my opinion…they’re ready. Never overcook! They will continue to cook after being removed from the grill. Don’t forget to flip the pineapple. You are just looking for nice grill marks on each side.

The pineapple can be used as part of the burger, or served on the side. Dress your burger accordingly and eat is as soon as possible after it comes off the grill. …Hot and juicy. These burgers are a lot of work and may require some tweaking to suit your pallet. I like bold tastes. Folks with wimpy appetites or with cardiac conditions…should just eat a banana instead! :-D

When we’re not in the mood for a burger…we cook them the same way. Here’s the option…prepare a little mushroom gravy, pasta salad and seasoned green beans. Serve the pineapple on top of the meat and cover with the mushroom gravy. A little French bread goes well and is great for sopping the gravy and juices!

Hope you like um! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reminds me of an Emeril recipe I followed a few times... take 3 lbs of ground meats (veal, chicken, pork) fry a pound of bacon, add the bacon to the meat and some other stuff, add the bacon grease to the meat (!!).... I did notice on that show that Emeril never had even a taste of that meat loaf -- never a bite. It was supposed to serve 6 but it was so rich it could have served 30 I think.

So, I'll bet this is really tasty... and really rich.

anonapersona said:
So, I'll bet this is really tasty... and really rich.

Yep...It really is worth all the trouble. I just always stress to folks not to overcook it! Although some folks like their nice juicy meat cooked to a tasteless, dried crisp! :blah: Fortunately, that's why we have choices! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.