Dumb question...does electric HAVE to be installed before pool install?

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
Above gorund pool ordered and getting ready for install. Called pool installer and they said they could do it next Wednesday. Not sure the electrician can come out and have the plug ready by then. Can we go ahead and have the pool installed before the electric is ready or do we need to wait until after we have the plug available?
ALso need some irrigation system moved. Called irrigation company and they said they usually come out after pool is installed. THe installers just dig up the lines and leave them out. I thought I needed to have the irrigation system moved before pool install?

There are pros and cons to any choice of what order you do things in. The electrical and sprinkler people both have an easier job if they know exactly where the pool is/will be. That is much simpler to know after the install, doing electrical/sprinkler before hand can result in mistakes. On the other hand there are significant advantages to have electrical ready so you can turn on the pump right away. The pool is not fully installed until it is mostly full, and at that point you want the pump running so you can add chemicals. In a similar vein, dealing with sprinklers after the install means sprinkler heads can end up underneath the pool, a fairly minor but not completely trivial issue.

I had my ABG Pool installed last year; I had the irrigation company come out and re-route the irrigation lines around where the pool was to be installed. They left the old lines in the ground and my installer dug them up but they were no longer attached to anything. For the electric, my electrician came out the next day. I did some prep work, like digging the trench to the pool to save time (and money) versus having my electrician do it. I had chlorinated water brought in for my initial fill so I wasn't to worried about the water for that short of time. To properly bond the pool and equipment, the electrician would have to come back out after the install; which may cost more by having them make a second trip. Depending on your local codes, you may also need to have the electric inspected; so if you're trenching, don't bury it 'till after the inspection is done - my inspector wanted to check the depth of the electric every few feet. One last thing... are you installing a heater? I didn't last year when the pool was installed but decided this spring to put one in. Would have been much easier if I would have pulled the gas line then as I had to retrench the entire run - about 175'. If you're thinking about an electric heater, have the electrician put in service at the pool to accommodate that also - will save you money down the road.

I did my electrical after install. If you're waiting, waiting, waiting after it's full, you can add chemicals but you *must* brush them through the water thoroughly.

I ran our pump with an extention cord for years until we found this site; and decided to do the pool correctly this year. it all started with a french drain, then dug a trench for the electrical, wanted three or four plug outlets on the far side of pool running along side of fence, including the one by the pump motor all GFI electrical lines with a 30 amp breaker to handle the loads. I know that is overkill, but hey why not? your there any way, plus we have outlets for Christmas lights!! We had to because the pool sits partially over both. installed a patio! when I learn how to post pics i will!!!

I did my electrical after install. If you're waiting, waiting, waiting after it's full, you can add chemicals but you *must* brush them through the water thoroughly.
We are in the same boat. Waiting on the electrician and the pool is up and almost filled now. Can I manually add chlorine and brush well to circulate just to try to keep it clean until we get the electric up for the pump? Should I add cya also or just stick to chlorine for now? I’m hoping it will be in the next couple of days but waiting on confirmation now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are in the same boat. Waiting on the electrician and the pool is up and almost filled now. Can I manually add chlorine and brush well to circulate just to try to keep it clean until we get the electric up for the pump? Should I add cya also or just stick to chlorine for now? I’m hoping it will be in the next couple of days but waiting on confirmation now.

I am using an extension cord right now. Pool installed on Monday. The first 3 days I didn't even have the pump and filter installed. Thursday night I got the filter and pump going. I just went around the pool and dumped in a jug of liquid shock for 2 days. My FC was high but now I'm on track and am adjusting pH. Water is crystal clear still. Can you get an extension cord to get your equipment up and running while you wait for permanent electric? I guess you could brush the CYA and chlorine until you get your pump on as you normally add it to your skimmer.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.