Question about pvc

Phil1

Jun 30, 2014
Southern, CA
Getting ready to change some of the plumbing... a couple of questions.

1. I'm thinking of adding a union to facilitate future repairs. Are the unions for schedule 40 pvc pipe standardized? I know the unions on my heater and SWG are specialized items, so if I need to replace one of those pipes I have to buy the matching union parts. But what about just a regular pipe union? Can I buy one now from, say, Home Depot and later be able to buy a mating union even if Home Depot changes suppliers?

2. I see on youtube videos people repairing pool plumbing are using either Oatey Pool-Tite or Weld-On Pool Heavy solvent glues for pvc... neither of which seem to be available at Home Depot or Lowes. Is there something special about these "pool" glues, or would something for normal plumbing work just as well?

Bummer... not being standardized makes them pretty much useless for many purposes (like mine!). I guess I could buy a spare now, and keep it until I need to redo the pipes again to replace the heater and/or pump. I'd probably lose it or forget what it's for, by that time. Thanks for the helpful info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.