Stenner ECON FP pump

Sep 21, 2013
Seattle, WA
I'm looking into a bleach injection system as I would like to automate the daily task of adding bleach. I've read on here where a lot of people are building systems based on the Stenner Classic pump. It looks like a good option but I would like to ensure that no bleach is injected without water flow (older copper pipes).

One way to do this would be to use a flow switch and tie that into the mechanism that turns the Stenner Classic pump on and off to make sure there is water flowing. At the most basic level the flow switch would trigger a solid state relay to turn the injection pump on.

Another method would be to use the Stenner ECON FP pump which already has the mechanism built-in to use a flow switch. This pre-built setup along with it being cheaper ($400 vs $460+$30 for relay both with 15gal tank) is definitely appealing. The motor is also DC instead of AC which allows the electronics to reduce the RPMs of the pump to inject less bleach rather than toggle the pump on and off or using a clutch mechanism (simpler).

I was thinking of using the ECON FP pump to inject a small amount of bleach continuously while the pool pump is running and adjust pool pump runtime and injection pump RPM percentage much like a SWG is used to get the correct FC level.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this type of continuous injection process rather than a set dosing schedule? What about the Stenner ECON FP vs the Stenner Classic?

I like it. I haven't personally used one of the Econ pumps but I really like how it's set up.

I see that USWater has them on sale for $255 alone or $395 with 15 gal tank. They're flow switch is a little high, but it should be easy to find a suitable replacement.

I may just have to order one myself! :mrgreen:

A current switch sounds like a good idea and it would avoid any modification of the existing plumbing other than tapping a hole for the injection point. However, I would be a little wary if the idea is to only inject chlorine when water is flowing then any valve mishap, clogged plumbing or failed impeller could still result in a current switch being tripped but with very little or no water flowing past the injection point.

It is definitely something to consider though. The information on that current switch on Veris' website is pretty sparse on exactly how the current switch would integrate with other equipment. According to the docs it says that the max output is 1A@30VAC/VDC. Does this mean the current switch can switch up to that much current/voltage or it provides a voltage and current on the contacts when it is tripped?

aiannar974, how are you using this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.