Cyanuric Acid?

DrK

Jun 8, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Greetings from Albuquerque,

I've learned a lot about balancing my pool from TFP. I've come around to simple is best - soda ash, HCL and Chlorox. I have a larger Endless pool -16x9- 4000+ gallons as should be shown in my sig. I truly appreciate the help that the TFP forum has given to myself and other EP owners. I've tried to get EP tp set up an owners forum but so far no luck. I have N2 and a UV system but am thinking of abandoning them. The first year and a half all went well. This year I am getting a few patches of itchy rash after swimming - Pseudomonas I assume. I swim about an hour a day. The water is always perfectly clear. I had the Taylor 2005 but got the Taylor 2006 after reading posts on this forum. Everything has been spot on except the CYA which is probably 150+ - It's hard to tell over 100 with the turbidity CYA test. My numbers are: Temp 92F, pH 7.6, FC 2.0, combined chlorine 0.2 TA 80, CH 170, CYA >150. I added about a liter of Chlorox (8.25%) last night and haven't checked since. I installed the pool myself except for the setup. The installer probably added CYA on setup and put a dichlor tablet feeder inline which I have disconnected. I'm thinking that the high CYA is inhibiting my chlorine.
My plan is to dump 2-3,000 gallons on my lawn to get the CYA down and replace with my well water (pretty high calcium).
My questions are:
Am I on the right track?
Will this water hurt my lawn?
I'd like to try borax (EP says it should be OK to use). Is there any problem with precipitating calcium if I have a high CH?

Thanks for your help.
KE

Welcome to TFP!

Watering the lawn will be good for the lawn.

With high CH levels you want to use boric acid instead of borax and acid to raise the borate level. Adding borax could cause calcium scaling in local areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.