Ozone or chlorine in TX

Afluv

Jun 21, 2014
Frisco, Tx
Spilt by moderator form HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions.Thanks, jblizzle

Ok, so now I'm really confused. I live in north Dallas area and just started the process of getting pool/spa bids and designs. The builders I've talked to say they are putting in ozonator/chlorine systems at about a 90% rate. They say it is cheaper and MUCH better on decks, stonework and metal furniture than salt systems. Not to mention it doesn't leave the white residue on windows and decking. Furthermore they are saying it results in a 70% reduction of chlorine use over straight chlorine systems. So, swimmers' eyes, skin and clothing are much better off.

This is my first post here and admittedly know little to nothing about sanitation systems but the majority of professionals I've spoken with (total of 7) are recommending the ozone/chlorine system over the SWG and straight chlorine. I also have two friends who have installed the ozone systems and the water quality is great over what I've always experienced with straight chlorine. SWG water is great too but I'm spooked by the corrosive affects. What's the deal?

Thanks

My question isn't really ozone or chlorine so much as it is why is everyone saying ozone chlorination systems don't do any good in residential pools when most of the professional pool builders I've spoken with in north Dallas say it's the way to go. It's not that they are making much more money, if any, by adding the ozonator. So why is it the new craze. I would never do ozone by itself but when combined with a SWG or chlorine system it's like swimming in bottled drinking water. Can someone help me understand this disconnect? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Confused

Welcome to TFP!

Likely the builders get a kick back or do not know any better. Although they are right that the SWG can cause problems with the natural stone that everyone down there uses.

Ozone actually breaks down chlorine so in private low use pools they actually increase the amount of chlorine you have to add every day to keep the pool safe.

Btw, you can change the title if you don't like the one I made up ;)

I live in Denton county and had an ozone system installed when I built the pool (Blue Haven). My pool actually looks better after I stopped using it and started using the TFP methods. I was unable to get replacement parts after 6 years of use. We could not tell any difference in chlorine usage after stopping it's use. If we had to do it over we would not purchase the ozone system because in my opinion it was a waste of money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.