Pool caught me napping - UPDATE, now in SLAM mode

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
So a month ago, I posted a thread sharing how much CL I put in my pool daily and asked how much others are doing so. Was cruising on 2-3 ppm or so, and I thought for my pool it was exactly a quart a day.

But what I didn't notice was that my CL demand was slightly more than a quart, maybe a quart and a half on a heavy use/sunny day... so my chlorine kept creeping down. Was at 6-8 ppm, then 5-7 a few days later, then 4-6 another few days later. But the change was so gradual that I didn't even notice... until today, when I tested 2.5 FC (CYA at 50). Whoops! Dumped a gallon in there to bring it back up to around 8.

Time for an OCLT to check to see if any algae found a new home, but I'm hoping bringing FC to 8 nipped it in the bud! This TFP method is really easy, but you have to be on top of it every day! I can understand why people go the SWG route.

Re: Pool caught me napping

If a person is in good health, a slight vitamin deficiency won't hurt him for a day or two. But if the person is in fragile health, then a little malnutrition can trigger illnesses. Your pool is like a living thing. I doubt you did any damage.

OCLT, 1.0 ppm loss overnight. CC is 0. Still OK for now.

I'm starting to think I should throw out those Taylor K1000 CL reagents (but keep the pH and TA reagents)... last night I tested only 1.5 using those reagents (pink color matching test showed a shade between 1 and 2), but the TF100 kit got me a 3.5 (7 drops).

It does show that with test kits, you get what you pay for and you can't always trust the color matching tests.

Best advice I ever got was from Richard. Feed it every day!..My pool has been balanced and crystal clear since I have joined TFP and followed their advice. Now I am trying to tell my neighbors the good news, however they are still pumping 3" tabs into their pool. About every 5th or 6th day they are cloudy.

I find myself having to put in 2 quarts a day of 8.25% bleach. Initially I thought 1 quart a day was enough, but no. Maybe it's because of hot weather and no shade? I did have a lot of people in the pool over the past several days, so high bather load, too?

At this rate, I'm going to be spending $50 per month on bleach alone! Oh well, better than spending $200 a month at the pool store...

Yep, tested a whooping 2.5 CC, with FC at only 1. :shock:

Have to SLAM. Dumped 2.5 gal in to bring FC to SLAM level (18).

I'm amazed how quickly CC jumps in such a short time after letting FC go below minimum.

I underestimated my pool...

At least the water is clear, and I wouldn't have guessed that an algae bloom is just beginning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here ya go. It ain't no swamp... I've already met 2 of the 3 SLAM criteria... CC is 0 and water never got green or cloudy to begin with. All I have to do is quell its unnecessary chlorine appetite.

photo5.jpg

Thanks Butterfly :)

Yeah I brushed behind the lights, but it was somewhat below SLAM level at the time. Some cloudy white stuff came off, hard to tell if it's algae or plaster dust.

I'll try the lights again later today. Will get at the skimmer throat, too.

Ok I scrubbed and did everything suggested but wash the filters. I measured my CYA level and was surprised to find it as low as 30. Normally it was at 45-50. Never drained, but had lots of splash out and some rain and evaporation/replacement with fill water, overflow, etc. Maybe this drop in CYA is to be expected with heavy usage? Or do I have a case of ammonia?

On the plus side, it's much easier (and cheaper) to hit a SLAM target of 12 with a CYA of 30. I'll retest CYA in an hour to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Retested CYA (yeah I couldn't wait another 45 minutes ha), and got between 20 and 30. It's definitely much lower than it is before. I'm going to use trichlor tablets to raise CYA over time, to about 40, then stop the chlorinator. I'll test CYA every 3 days or so, to make sure I don't overshoot my target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.