I opened my pool for the first time in 2years

Jul 7, 2014
dallas ga
Not sure I am in the right place but here goes:
I opened my pool for the first time in 2years (yikes) I know this is horrible but it is what it is.
I have done this before and eventually got it cleared up.
I can not remember the first step. I am thinking it is just massive amounts of shock and running filter and back washing for days. Anybody else know. Any thoughts on whether or not I add stabilizer first.
I am 99% sure there is no chlorine at all in this water

adding my specs in sig

- - - Updated - - -

Always used the method of months of violations from Pool Stores selling me everything under the sun and then some. shock, more shock, did I say shock? Ph up/down. Stabilizer, hardness, algacide, stuff to remove the algacide metals I just added. I actually closed the pool and hid from it for two years. Somebody help please?

Welcome! :wave:

First, if the pool is really awful looking, take pictures! We like pictures.
Second, test the water. If the CYA level is way high, you may never be able to find enough bleach to get ahead of any algae. You'd need to drain some. How much? Test results!
Third, remove any organic debris you can reach.
Fourth: adjust pH.
Fifth, add bleach to get to the appropriate shock level for your CYA and keep it up there.

The directions are here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Look at the pictures!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...urn-to-a-swamp
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...numbers)/page2 post 37 especially
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ool-is-winning
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-to-Clean-tale
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...28-TFP-Success
First Time Shocking with Bleach
Pretty black pool
A little encouragement for those with algae and new to BBB
Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!
Before and After Pool Pics
Before and after!
A final picture set of how well the BBB method works!

Just do what they did.

Welcome to TFP!

When Richard asks for test results, he means performed by you using one the recommended test kits (see Pool School) and not any pool store testing or worse test strips. The SLAM process will clean any pool, but the first step of any action is getting test results.

Alright-will get pics this afternoon. Where do I get this test kit I need? All I have is test strips. I forgot to mention I was hoping to have this done in a week. Like to go buy the test kit rather than order online.
I just bought all the chems I THOUGHT I would need such as shock, calcium hardness, algacide, chlorine tabs. I have not used them yet so I guess I can take them back if I am going to relearn a new way to do this.

Alright. I read through this SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain as recommended.
Really unsure about what I am doing.
Before getting on here the other day my goal was to get it cleaned up and recover as quickly as possible because the darn pool has always been a mystery to me and I am scared, literally of the money it can (and has) cost me. I sort of clean it up every two years and then to pretend it is not back there in the yard until time to do it again and then the ANGST comes on..it is here now and I am hoping to make it through with the help of this forum.
After reading a bit on here I am starting to feel maybe I can learn to tackle this backyard beast and fear it no longer.
So I am going to start shocking it tonight after the sun goes down? 3lbs of shock and run the pump? Going to spend the day pulling out dead stuff at the bottom? Am I on the right track?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright. I read through this SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain as recommended.
Really unsure about what I am doing.
Before getting on here the other day my goal was to get it cleaned up and recover as quickly as possible because the darn pool has always been a mystery to me and I am scared, literally of the money it can (and has) cost me. I sort of clean it up every two years and then to pretend it is not back there in the yard until time to do it again and then the ANGST comes on..it is here now and I am hoping to make it through with the help of this forum.
After reading a bit on here I am starting to feel maybe I can learn to tackle this backyard beast and fear it no longer.
So I am going to start shocking it tonight after the sun goes down? 3lbs of shock and run the pump? Going to spend the day pulling out dead stuff at the bottom? Am I on the right track?
How can you? You don't know where you are chemically. If you're already high on CYA, dichlor or trichlor "shock" will just make a bad situation worse. If CH is high, Cal-hypo "shock" will make it higher. While it's a good bet the pool will have zero FC right now, so dosing it up to shock level is a relatively simple thing, then what? You need to keep hitting it. Knock it down and kick it while it's down again and again and again until it's dead. But you won't know how much FC is left, so you have no idea how much more to add. The alternative is to let it run back to zero, which means whatever you dumped in accomplished nothing.

What you can do is vacuum blind. Brush. Use the leaf rake to scoop out as much organic debris as you can. The filter will probably load up pretty quick, so watch the gauge and the return flow and prepare to backwash.

It's frustrating as all heck to not be able to do something, but without a test kit on site, you're working blind. It's like trying to paint a picture in the dark. You'll get paint on the canvas, sure. But it won't look like anything and you'll have just wasted paint and spoiled a canvas.

Leaf rake:
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

To post more pictures, either become a paying member and get more space, or use a photo-sharing site and link. Here's how: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72545-Posting-Photo-s-Tutorial

Use the leaf rake first and pull out everything you can. As long as you are getting something keep using it. Everything you get out with the rake is that much less the chlorine has to deal with and the less chlorine $$$ you will have to use. It will also keep the vacuum from plugging or filling the basket as quickly. Then get used to brushing everything at least once a day. You're doing it blind but you need to do it.

The TF-100 test kit is the better deal and you would need the XL option. If if you already offered the K2006, you should order refills for the FAS-DPD chlorine test and the CYA test because you will run out before you compete the SLAM.

I put TF-100 Pool test kit in the Amazon search bar and it brought me back to this http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNO...04830576&sr=8-1&keywords=TF-100+pool+test+kit
looks like the same thing?
I have not bought anything. Unsure of what to buy and do not want to buy the wrong thing. I was also waiting to hear if I needed to order anything else from Amazon like Cyanuric Acid?

The TF-100 test kit is the better deal and you would need the XL option. If if you already offered the K2006, you should order refills for the FAS-DPD chlorine test and the CYA test because you will run out before you compete the SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

do you have a link?

- - - Updated - - -

Alright going to spend a long time doing this. Pump running or not?

Use the leaf rake first and pull out everything you can. As long as you are getting something keep using it. Everything you get out with the rake is that much less the chlorine has to deal with and the less chlorine $$$ you will have to use. It will also keep the vacuum from plugging or filling the basket as quickly. Then get used to brushing everything at least once a day. You're doing it blind but you need to do it.

The TF-100 is not on Amazon. Only sold by tftestkits.net on the east coast with the options available or poolsupplyworld.com on the west coast for just the kit.

You can buy all you needed chemicals locally. Why buy what you don't know you need?

Alright found it.
$81 and this is a better deal? I am guessing I will be saving on chemicals? (hoping)
It comes with larger quantities of what you use the most. The cheaper K-2006 uses the same size bottles for everything. The number of tests each kit provides is in a table here.

With a green swamp, you'll want the XL option, so you won't need refills right away. Saves on shipping. It will probably take you through this season and opening next year.

IMHO, The TF-100 is a bit of $$$ but you will also be saving money in not having to drive to the pool store to get your water tested. At almost four bucks a gallon the test kit doesn't look so expensive and can pay for itself while keeping your pool clear and blue.

You don't need to order CYA / stabilizer from amazon unless you just can get to Walmart or HomeDepot or .... They should carry it on the shelf. http://www.homedepot.com/p/HTH-4-lb-Stabilizer-and-Conditioner-61316/100239944 This is just the HTH product but there are others too.
If you need baking soda for raising pH Walmart among others will have that on hand too so no need to stock up. It would be in a 12lb bag with the pool stuff. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer-Baking-Soda-192-oz/17043412

I would just rake without the pump on. Less circulation and whatever you miss with the rake and stir up will settle back sooner. Rake until you don't get anything and remember anything you pull out makes the SLAM faster, easier and cheaper as you won't need as much bleach. Once you aren't getting anything in the rake and that might take a day or two or three depending on when your arms or patience give out then I'd vacuum and brush and run the pump to try and catch whatever you loosen. Once the big stuff is out with the rake try to brush at least once daily and pull your ladder if you have one and scrub it good especially checking under each step and if you have a light pull it and clean the niche.
It's just so much easier to vacuum once you've pulled out the big stuff and don't have to empty the skimmer basket every minute or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.