Upgrading filter from Sand to D.E.

May 29, 2014
New Jersey
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about replacing my sand filter for a D.E. type and was wondering if I have to replace the pump as well.

Currently I have a Waterway 1HP/19" Sand Filter combo, but it's very slow at cleaning even after a sand change/backwash.

My neighbor has a Hayward D.E. filter and his water looks way better than mine, clarity wise.

I know someone looking to get rid of a Hayward Model EC40AC D.E. filter, but doesn't have the pump.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you considered just borrowing some of your neighbors DE and adding it to your sand filter to see if that might improve your water clarity? 2nd choice would be to try a Slime BAG that fits over the return. Have you tried doing a deep cleaning on that sand filter?

I second trying an addition of DE to your sand filter before you invest money in a whole new filter system.. I have used it myself and it does make a difference. We have pollen here at times that is crazy and DE is great at getting the finer particles.

Check out this link from Pool School about how to add it to your sand filter.

Well I'm guessing but your waterway pump is a top discharge, for Sand, and the DE filter needs a side discharge. See if your pump is the type that can be switched. The EC40 is a good filter and should handle your pool well. If you do take the filter, be sure to inspect the inside - the fingers, etc for tears and also the gasket at the top, behind the fingers - make sure no tears, etc.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I've added some D.E. to my filter, I'll see what results it produces when I get home.

Reading about my pump, it seems as though it can be switched to side discharge. I'll do some investigations.

Thanks

I went home for lunch and checked the pressure on my sand filter but it hasn't moved since adding the D.E this morning at 8am. I followed the instructions for adding D.E to a sand filter.

I'm wondering if the filter is actually working properly.

More often than not, cloudy water is a chemistry issue and not a filter problem.
Post up a full set of test results.
Do you use the SWG in your signature? What is the CYA and what FC level do you maintain?

Good point guys.

I did notice when pouring in the D.E. into the skimmer that fine air bubbles were coming through the return. At first I thought it was D.E, but after a closer look, it was just really fine air bubbles. It settled after a bit and was filtering as normal.

I will get a new set of results from the pool.

Rocky

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.