Borates, reasons for adding

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
I've done some research on borates, and I've decided that I will want to add them at some point. My reasons for adding borates are to:

1. Help buffer against pH rise as the new plaster cures
2. Improve water feel
3. Reduce chlorine demand
4. Make the pool an unfriendlier environment for bugs (every time I mow the lawn, carpenter/winged ants like to come into my pool)

Please correct me if my reasons are misguided. Also, here are my latest full set of test results (excluding chlorine):

pH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 300
CYA: 50

My TA has gone down over time, to as low as <60 and had to bring it back up to 80 because of adding MA to hold down the pH. It's been hovering between 60 and 80 for the past month with MA + baking soda.

I have a 12.5k gallon pool and I maintain FC using bleach, so to bring my borates to 40, I will need almost 8 boxes of 76 oz 20 mule team borax ($3.99 per box at Target), plus 2 gallons and a quart of MA to counteract the borax's effect on pH.

So, to tally up the costs, I need to buy 7 more boxes of borax, plus 2 more gallons of MA for $13 at pool store. That will be a total of $45 including taxes. That doesn't include the test strips that I'll need to get as well. Maybe I could skip the test strips for now and just trust the pool calculator, and buy the strips several months later or when I need to test borates?

The ONLY problem with my plan? I'm going to my PB about a plaster mottling problem, and it's remotely possible that I may push them to tear off the plaster and re-plaster properly... this may require a full drain. Should I hold off on the borates until I get more certainty about what the PB is going to do about the plaster job first?

I have a 12.5k gallon pool... ...I will need almost 8 boxes of 76 oz 20 mule team borax ($3.99 per box at Target), plus 2 gallons and a quart of MA...

So, to tally up the costs, I need to buy 7 more boxes of borax, plus 2 more gallons of MA for $13 at pool store. That will be a total of $45 including taxes.

You could achieve the same borates level with just 24 pounds of boric acid and it'd be arguably easier to add than dealing with Borax+MA. You can get a 25 pound bag of granular boric acid for $45 with free shipping form DudaDiesel (http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=boric25f). Just using the whole 25 pounds would give you 42ppm Borates. You could also buy his 55 pound tub for about ~$91 shipped that would give you enough to set your borate level now and again later after splash out has diminished it and also to bring it up back up when you open next spring (although I guess you may not actually drain and close in Houston =p).

I've heard get the pellets verses the powder also on this site. I may try some for my hot tub this year after we close our pool in September. I bought the powder form last year and never used it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.