My level are good why is my water still cloudy?

Jun 19, 2014
houston, texas
My test results were
Ch 3-5 ppm
Ph 7.5 ppm
Cya 40 ppm
Is it normal for my bleach levels be 0 after pool use? And why do i have to add bleach EVERY day? I almost done with whole jug of stabilizer that i bought in walmart.
Pool info
Above ground
6,500 gallons
Intex filter that came with pool

Thank you

The first thing is what test are you using? Strips? Basic chlorine test? The second thing I noticed is you said you've used almost a whole container of stabilizer. How big is the container? By my pool math calculations you should have only had to add 2 lbs. of stabilizer to get to 40. No it's not really normal to have no chlorine after swimming.

You have to add bleach everyday because it is a consumable product. The sun burns some off, as do swimmers, algae and any organic that it comes in contact with. That's what keeps you're water sanitary.

If I had to take a guess and you said you've used most of you're stabilizer, I would guess that your pool is over-stabilized and the chlorine you do add is not enough for your actual cya level.

Chlorine is a consumable item and must be replenish daily. It is consumed by sunlight and organic material in your pool water.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and that'll help you with some basics.

It would make it easier on everyone if you added the pool info to your signature. That way someone wouldn't need to go back to your first post each time they needed that info, like size for chem calculations as it would pop up with each new post you made, thanks. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

This is your third week with the pool and you're still learning ;)

You ordered the TF100 a couple weeks ago, do you have it now ??

You have small kids and there is a chance they might have had an accident in the pool, that will eat up a lot of chlorine.

Are you comfortable with how you're doing the CYA test, did you try watching the video on it ?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs If you're not accurate on the CYA they you won't be starting out with enough chlorine (bleach). You could also be the other way with too much but your complaint is zero after swimming.

Stabilizer size 4lb. About 1 lb. Left. Yes i just received my TF 100 on july 3. I did tested the chlorine and it was 0 i added the 40 oz. Of bleach then tested again 1 hour later and chlorine was 4 ppm then i tested the cya and it was 40. There has been a few sprinkles here and there but not that much rain.

I thought I would pile on with my 2 cents...

The water is cloudy because the filter is unable to remove whatever is in your pool as fast as it is accumulating. Since your FC is going to 0 you will begin to have algae growth. In fact, that is probably what is making the water cloudy. Go to the pool school link (at the top of the page) and read Defeating Algae
In it, you will want to follow the Slamming your pool link for instructions on how to get ahead of this blooming problem.

I read an Intek manual over the weekend, and what I read, they seem to think allowing the FC to go to 0 during the day ok. All of us here at the TFP forum will tell you that's not the case. In fact, you will learn as pepsiholic stated above, that you must have CYA in the pool to allow the FC to stick around during the day, and that for any CYA level, there is a minimum amount of FC you must have in the pool at all times to be assured that algae etc. wont grow.

Once you are prepared to SLAM your pool, you will start by adding 5 qts of 8.5% CL bleach to the pool, and do your best to continue adding bleach to maintain a 16ppm CL level for CYA-40 pool, as directed in the SLAM instructions. The PoolMath link will give you the ability to adjust for beach strength (5-12.5%), CYA level, and the other chemistry levels you get from your test kit.

First order of business, read the above info and start SLAMming asap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Salt Water Generator.
Salt water chlorination is a process that uses dissolved salt (2,500–6,000 ppm) as a store for the chlorination system.[1] The chlorine generator (also known as salt cell, salt generator, salt chlorinator) uses electrolysis in the presence of dissolved salt (NaCl) to produce hypochlorous acid (HCIO) and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), which are the sanitizing agents already commonly used in swimming pools. As such, a saltwater pool is not actually chlorine-free; it simply utilizes a chlorine generator instead of direct addition of chlorine.

Just a different way to keep chlorine in your pool.

Have you taken the time to read Pool School yet? You *need* to understand what your pool needs to keep it clean and healthy, especially if you have young kids swimming in there (and more opportunities for extra "organic" materials to get in the pool).

22 is a bit high. Is that what you were aiming for and if so why ??

With your CYA around 40 you should maintain a SLAM level of 16. Life gets in the way and some times it's helpful to go a little over so if you don't test soon enough you don't drop as much. Little over like 18ppm. The thing you need to understand is that you need to maintain that level of 16 and hold it there as best you can. If you drop too far under the 16ppm before you add again algae can start to grow again.

Like Richard said earlier and it shows in the chart: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock With CYA around 40, during normal operation you want to keep the FC level between 3 and 7, and never let it get below 3.
That needs to be followed after you complete the SLAM to maintain a clean pool. If you add CYA or dump water then you need to recheck the CYA level and check the chart to see where you should be.

- - - Updated - - -

So i just keep testing the free chlorine? Not ph or alkaline

With FC above 10 the pH test isn't reliable and for now all you need to do is focus on the FC and brush the pool daily at least once. Testing for CC would be good as that's part of knowing when you have arrived at the end of your SLAM. Everything else comes next.

This is in Pool School and it's important to know:
SLAM:

Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day
Backwash or clean the filter as needed
Vacuum up debris as needed

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.