Pool ordered! Where to put pump/filter??

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
Just ordered a Sharkline Oceanic 24'X 54" pool. Electrician said plug must be 6 feet away from pool. We're hoping to build a deck around 1/4 of the pool and were thinking of placing pump/filter behind that but it's the furthest point away from our house and will require the longest electrical line. Does that even matter? I'd prefer to not see the pump from the main patio area..how does everyone else do it? Pics would be great.
Here's an idea of where we think to put ours?
pool_pump.jpg

First, welcome to TFP! You have to opportunity to learn a lot here.

Please update your signature to include all of the vitals, like which pool you have, which filter you have, etc. This will help people answer your questions.

Go to the Pool School icon at the top of the forum and read everything in there. It'll help you a lot! Please be sure to learn right off the bat to ignore pool store advice/suggestions/test results and stay away from dichlor and trichlor except in limited situations. Bleach is your chlorinating friend. The pool store will lead you down the wrong path.

If you haven't already, get your own high quality test kit like the Taylor K2006 or better yet the TF100. See comparison here http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

To answer your question... I would put it where you can't see it from the house/patio. If you're already running conduit out there, the extra distance really doesn't affect price much. I think you'll be happy you did it. It isn't the best stuff to look at from your house. ;)

Figured I'd wait to add to my signature until we actually received everything and had it set up. I am reading bunches here. I was originally going to go with SWG but store said they include the Pool Frog Mineral thing in their package and it sounded good (before I was able to research it). I've been reading today and seems like most people dont like it. Is it ok to set up with it and I'll just ignore it? I'm going to order the kit today. However, we are going away in a few weeks and it sounds like people use it on vacation? Hoping for a Jul 16th install, but still need to get irrigation lines moved, electrician and permits done.

My equipment is under my deck. It wasn't placed exactly where we wanted it, so we did the best we could...lol.. it works for me, I'm not very tall and I'm the one who maintains the pool. We didn't want to see it from the back porch either, but it was installed when I was at work and they had already had everything hooked up and filling buy the time I got home. Our deck is about 10x20. We did the electrical ourselves. First we had to run a GFI plug through the basement wall, being an older home that we were redoing it didn't have any outside receptacles. then just ran the wire through conduit up to the deck. We put one below the deck for the equipment and ran another up top for radios ipods, etc.

008.jpg 007.jpg

I didn't want to see my pump/filter from the lounging deck either so I said "Put it in the back!" And they did exactly what I told them.

What I didn't take into account was wind direction. Your skimmer will be placed near the pump/filter and you will have a return beside the skimmer. It's much easier if you allow nature to help you out instead of relying on your return to move the surface water in a circular motion towards the skimmer. So my advice, put the pump/filter/skimmer/return downwind.

And that's a nice pool. I looked at the Oceanic before deciding to go with Harbortown. Good luck with your install! :)

I put my pump on the far side of the pool, both for aesthetics and noise abatement. I didn't want to hear the pump running from the patio.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Up wind, down wind, noise, aesthetics, no worries............put it where ever you want. Just have to run electrical and that costs some cash. Everything usually depends on how much you want or can spend....:D
I would just keep in mind that you will need somewhat easy access to it, so don' put it in a confined space that is difficult for you get to it or work on it. Does not need to be sheltered, they are designed to stay outside, but you can always make a nice little cover for it out of lattice for aesthetics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.