New guy from Indiana

Jul 24, 2008
SW Indiana
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I love your forums.

I am not a pool owner as of yet but we are getting close. The builder is coming out Saturday to give us a quote on a BG 20x40 vinyl. I hope to become a lifetime member if this all pans out.

I have already learned much about pools on this site and I am sure the learning will never end.

I do have a question. The guys that is giving us a quote has put in a pool for one of my friends. It looks very nice. At the corners the liner is not flat to the metal framing. It is tight but you can push the liner and it has a spring to it. Is this normal?

Welcome from another Indiana resident.

Are you talking about the liner at the top or below the water line? It should be tight to the surface below the water line, but above the water line there may be a little gap between the wall and the liner at the corners.

Welcome to TFP!!

As John said, it's normal for the liner not to be on the wall in the corners above the waterline and for a couple of inches below it. Liners need to stretch into the pool or you'd end up with wrinkles :( , therefore they are made slightly smaller than the pool - -how much stretch you'll get out of a new liner is dependent upon the heat and sun exposure when you install the liner. That's why on 2 identical pools with identical liners, 1 will have the corners fit 'snug' and the other will have the gap you're talking about (the 'snug' one was installed on a warmer day or had full sun on it) The most important thing is not to have wrinkles!!

Again, welcome here, if you have more questions as the pool is being built or when you finally get to swim in it, just ask us and we'll help you :goodjob:

(I wish I could tell you my only Indiana experience - 1989 Dead show @ Deer Park, but this is a family site :wink: :oops: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support