Water flow slower - where should I start?

Achilles

Jul 29, 2011
Northern MN
Hi all,

The water from my return is coming out noticeably slower this year than previous years. Not sure where I should start to try to diagnose and fix the issue.

A few more clues: When I backflush the filter, the flow there is slower as well (so I presume it probably isn't my return line). I am getting a few occasional air bubbles coming up from the return stream. The pump seems and sounds to be running fine.

Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll pull the filter and check it for clogs and gasket issues. Then look into how to find air leaks. Bubbles are very minimal, FYI, and the pad is dry around the pump and filter.

FYI the pressure on the filter gauge does seem rather low compared to last year. However, that info is closed by the fact that for some reason my gauge, which was new last year and removed for winter, now has a zero-pressure (uninstalled) reading of 30 psi. I presumed I only cared about the pressure delta between a clean and dirty filter, and that the gauge was still operating ok for that purpose, but maybe I should go get another gauge.

This might sound simple, but check the skimmer. Mine sometimes gets stuck in the up position, letting in air, and decreasing presume.

Thanks again, everybody. Brief update: the problem was a clogged impeller. Easy enough to clear up. Hardest part was unhooking the hoses and hooking them back up. 2 screws, remove the basket, and boom a big wad of leaf debris. And now flow is WAY improved. Yay! Also the off-vs.-on pressure delta is what it has been in previous years, so that's a good sign - though I'll look into that new gauge too! ;) I also cleaned and lubed the gaskets while I was at it.

One more question: I only cleaned the "front" side of the impeller and didn't remove the larger circular housing around it (because I was late for work and it didn't come right off easily when I removed the eight screws). I haven't researched either the manual or the pool school to see if I should check that area for debris too. Should I?

Funny how exciting it can be to just get things back to normal!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.