Slamming pool, some questions?

Jun 26, 2012
Jackson, NJ
My CYA is low at 20ppm so I wasn't in a rush to dump 4lbs of it into the pool just yet, but I was gone for about 3 hours and tested the water for CL and it ate up about 10+ ppm !?!?!! Where the faznaksy did it go??? Is it because my CYA is so low? I know I don't have that much **** in the water, it's crystal clear and has been I'm only slamming because I let it drop to 0 and saw some algae creepin on the walls (greenish tint in a few places). So that's the first question.

Can I add borates (complete process) while I'm slamming? Overlap the whole thing, I already the 22 boxes of borax and 7 gallons of MA teehee. That's question número two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will lose a whole lot to the sun without adequate CYA. If you have algae on the walls - enough to see - you have algae in the water, too. Maybe lurking behind lights, under ladder treads, anywhere and everywhere. That can eat chlorine up fast, too.

10+ is not the kind of test results we like to see.... the recommended FAS-DPD test can accurately measure FC up to 50ppm. If you don't have the right test kit, you'll just be prolonging the SLAM and without the CC test, you'll never really know when you're done. End sermon.

I wouldn't even think about borates until that pool has passed all three tests for ending the SLAM and everything else is balanced and stable for at least a week. Your sole job right now is to monitor FC & CC and brush that pool until it passes. Then you worry about raising CYA and adjusting pH and TA and all the rest. Lastly, you worry about borates. They're totally optional. I mean, seriously, it's like putting chrome tailpipes on a car with an audible misfire. Deal with the important stuff first!

Point taken!

I have the TF100 XL kit
To be specific I lost 12ppm in a span of 3 hours while I was at the store. I hVw been testing all day and adding CL, my CC has been at 0 the entire time, in fact I can remember the last time my CCs have been over 0.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you want to raise CYA, but not until after you pass the SLAM. If the CC is below .5 and the water is clear (that includes any patches on the walls) run the overnight loss test tonight. If you pass, hang the sock full of CYA in the pool as soon as you know.

OCLT this morning yielded 2.0ppm FC loss :( Water is and has been crystal clear CCs at less than 0.5
What sucks is that Im now at work and wont be back til 5 so I will have my wife add some CL around lunch time and my son bruch the pool... and hope for the best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.