Replacing Infinity Edge Pump

Oct 26, 2013
Pool Details: In Ground PebbleTec 30000 gallons. Infinity edge is 40'. A 4.5 HP pump currently runs the infinity edge. This pump has 4" pipe coming in and going out of the pump. I want to replace this with a variable speed pump for obvious reasons (energy HOG!). Can I reduce the 4" piping that comes in and out of the pump to 2" on the input and then open it back up to 4" on the outflow side of the pump? The whole run is currently 4" piping. I only see VS pumps that have 2" in and out ports. Your help is greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I should mention I want to do a 2 or 3HP VS pump for the replacement. Water currently flys over the edge and I think I can get away with less flow. The edge is very level.

Do you have any specifics on the pump? Make/manufacturer? The infinity edge probably needs a certain flow to look right, you may be able to swap out just the motor portion and keep the wet side. Can you post a picture of the pump?

The pump is a Speck Pump Model 21-80 BS. I would like something that is less of an energy hog and maybe multiple speeds so I can have a trickle flow over the edge instead of Niagra Falls. Is it okay to reduce the pipe size at the pump and then bring it back up after the pump on the return side?

The largest of the residential variable speed pumps is the IntelliFlo XF, which will only move about 2/3rds as much water at full speed. It does have connections for 3" plumbing. If you go this route, you will need to rewire the power for the pump. Your current pump is presumably 3 phase, and the IntelliFlo XF is single phase 230 volts.

There are a number of commercial variable speeds in the correct size range, but unfortunately I am less familiar with them.

If the flow rate is not sufficient on an infinity edge, debris may get stuck at the edge instead of going over. The XF might be your best choice but keep in mind that it may not produce enough flow rate to make the edge work well.

According to this site: http://www.aqthemagazine.com/how-to/item/1416-how-to-build-a-vanishing-edge-pool.html

You want 5 GPM per foot of edge (~1/8" weir) and the XF may not be able to do that unless the plumbing head loss is pretty low but even then the pump would be close to run out which isn't good either.

Do you have a head curve for the existing pump?

That is a fairly low head and high flow rate pump compared to the XF which is a high head pump. So I guess it depends on where the operating point is right now. If it is 200 GPM @ 53' of head, then the XF would be at about 185 GPM @ 45' of head. Not too bad but I am guessing at the current operating point.

I would suggest the IntellifloXF or the AF-180 Waterfall pump by Pentair.

The Waterfall pump is designed for low head high flow applications and will give good performance at low energy use.

What is the level of the trough in relation to the pump?

Note: The current motor looks like it is a B116, which has the following specs:

H.P = 4
Volts = 208 - 230
S.F = 1.25
Phase = 1
Amps: 21.0-19.4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure if this helps in determining size of pump needed, but I have a 1.5HP pump that filters the main pool and I am able to turn a valve which changes the filtration to pull from the main drains in the pool to the drains in the catch basin. When I do this it creates a nice flow over the infinity edge with that small pump. I am thinking of adding an actuator that would allow automatic filtration from the catch basin for a couple of hours a day and then switch to the main pool for the rest of the day. Would that work?

Is there an easy method to control an actuator via timer to change the suction on a 3-way valve? This would allow me to filter from the catch basin for a couple of hours and then the main pool for the rest of the time? I don't want to spend the money on these overpriced automation systems that are based on some old computer technology (like Atari).

- - - Updated - - -

I'd still like to replace the edge pump for special occations use only with something smaller so that I can engage that water feature when I want to rather than the current method of having to engage it to get skimming on the pool. My question on reducing the piping at the pump from 4" to 3" still stands - is that okay to do - reduce to 3" before the pump and then after the pump go back up to 4"?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.