Where am I?

Jun 24, 2014
Solomon, ks
Question, did I do a partial slam? And should I continue?
Here is the setting.
This morning at 7:30 I performed all tests allowed by the T100. My Results:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], CH@725, TA@280, CYA@85
I did the pool math and followed the recommendation of adding 4 gal (8.25) bleach.
While viewing the pool, with my new polarized sunglasses, I detected and incredible amount of "Gray Dust" all over the entire, underwater surface and the inside of the ladder.
I performed a thorough vacuum to waste, while adding water to keep from losing suction. Upon completion I added my remaining 1/2 Gal of bleach. I back washed and rinsed the DE filter and added approx 100oz (3, 32oz Kwikshop cups). I saw no rise in pressure from 19psi on tank. Why not? Do I need more DE?
I took a break and went to Sam's for more bleach, which I have not added any. I am currently filling the pool up to approximately 2/3 level on the skimmer inlet.
My current results as of 4:30pm are:
[email protected], Br@10, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], CH@625, TA@260, CYA@57
Pool math wants MA to lower the pH and to continue to "waste" water.
My thoughts. Should I go ahead, raise the FC to the recommended 24, vacuum to waste again tomorrow, spend every evening this week continuing to clean?
The big variable is, I start National. Guard Annual Training next week. I will initially be out of town for 3 days, then spend approximately 12+ hours/day working a mixture of days and nights.
I'm looking for a conservative way to keep the pool going during the time I won't be able to commit extra time. My wife may do some, but with two smalls, studying for her FAA ATP exam and working on her Masters, additional pool maintenance is more than I can ask, but they will probably use the pool.

Your pH reading is invalid when FC is above 10. That's why we suggest adjusting pH first, and then doing the SLAM, since it won't be possible to read it.

If you intend to drain more to lower the CYA, then don't waste a lot of bleach taking it to SLAM levels. Just maintain the appropriate FC for the CYA. That will hold things at bay until you're done replacing water. Then adjust pH (Remember FC below 10 for that test) and then hit it with bleach. If the water is already clear and not green, you should be through the SLAM well before your drill weekend.

As an aside, if you're doing the FC & CC tests using the powder, you don't need to do the CL-BR test. It's not as accurate and its redundant anyway. And you don't use Bromine, so the BR number is meaningless anyway.

I rechecked pressure, it's up to 21, so I'm not concerned about filter.
From my very limited experience with pools, and some quick reading, FC is lowed by exposure or chemicals I don't have.
I have bleach, MA, 20 mule team, baking soda, algaecide, powdered shock and the 3" tabs.
So, if I understand correctly, let the pool sit over night and probably tomorrow so the sun can cook off the chlorine and don't worry about pH until FC is below 10 preferably 7 according to the FC/CYA chart???

As soon as FC is below 10 you can test pH and TA and adjust the pH.

If you plan to drain more water, don't add any bleach. It will just end up wasted going out the drain.

If you don't plan to drain any more water, adjust pH, wait 30 minutes, and raise FC to 24 and start brushing.

I passed the overnight test last night and the water is clearing, just can't get CC below 1.0. I cleaned the area behind the light and all other hidden surfaces. Pump is running continuous. Do I need to keep slamming? Is there a point when it just doesn't happen?
FC was just checked at 26, a little high, but I'm sure it'll cook of tomorrow and cya is @40.
There is still some dust on the pool bottom, which I have stirred frequently while cleaning, in an effort to work it thru the filtration system. If it isn't gone by the time I get things stabilized, I'll let the polaris pick it up. I'm hesitant to put it in with high chlorine values.
I'm sure you see this question all the time, sorry if I'm just not catching the basics.
Thanks for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have read thru several posts and pool school, I can't locate any info on closing the SLAM.
I have cleaned every accessable surface. I anticipate completing the SLAM tomorrow morning. FC is currently at 21.5 (adding recommended 1gal3c bleach) to return to 24, CC is .5 or less, and pH holding at 7.5. CYA was 40 this morning. I'll perform the overnight FCLT tonight to verify, but it was OK yesterday.
Is it OK to trust pH at this high FC? I don't think so but just asking.
What do I do at the conclussion of the SLAM? I'm thinking just monitor all of my values, while keeping everything with in goal, with the goal of 5-7 FC, less than 0.5 CC, CYA40-50, and pH 7.5.
Does the chlorine just deplete from sun and once there I maintain my goals.
If there is a previous thread, please refer me. I'm trying to prepare my wife to take over some of the upkeep while I do my 2 weeks of Guard training. Fortunately I'll be close.
Thanks,
Mark

Good morning. Time to give my testimony. It all worked. The pool stabilized and looks sparkling, crystal clear. Aside from a high hardness, all values have balanced and I'm on a daily routine to check and adjust as necessary.
This was all made possible by the great help received here.
Btw, mostly Blue Moon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.