Silver Supporter
Jun 27, 2014
Lubbock, Texas
FC 6.0
PH 7.8
TA 175
CH 300
CYA 80

In order to lower TA, I have been adding muratic acid to my pool each day for four days to bring the ph level down to the 7.0 to 7.2 range. After each daily dose of MA the pool was aerated; the ph level returned to around 7.8 every day. The pool has remained crystal clear.

After the initial dose of MA, TA was lowered from 200 to 175. Since the first dose however, all subsequent doses have had no effect on TA which continues to hover at 175.

The reasons I have been trying to lower TA are: 1) white film build up on tile around waterfall and at water line around pool. 2) ph has to be adjusted daily to keep ph 8.0 or below.

The CSI is being kept within safe range by lowering ph but development of white film continues to be a problem as does ph fluctuation.

I paid $1,000.00 a month ago to have the tile ‘salt blasted’. It put the tile back in pristine condition but film build-up began to come back within a few weeks.

I have read on the forum that lowering TA is a tedious process of aerating and adding MA that can take days or weeks. But shouldn’t I see steady progress each day? or does it happen suddenly or in spurts?

In reading the forum it says that SWCG, waterfall and splashing of swimmers aerates the pool. I have the SWCG (set at 20%) and pump running 24/7 which is keeping FC at around 6.0.

Since the ph tends to drift toward 8.0 or above if not adjusted daily, as a regular habit in maintaining chemical balance do I need to run my pump and waterfall (aeration process) less to help keep ph down?

I would rather not spend $1,000 every year to get the calcium removed. Am I on the right track? Or is hard water build-up on tile just a part of life in West Texas?

Welcome to TFP!

Lowering TA takes a while. You are making progress, just too slowly for it to show up on the test results every day.

What is your fill water TA level? If, as I suspect, your fill water TA level is fairly high, you might want to think about an automatic acid feed system of some kind.

Running the waterfall will speed up the process, but will require that you be around to lower the PH more frequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.