Another pump/filter sizing question !!

rwb1

Jul 6, 2014
STILLWATER,NY
New to the forum....been lurking a whit....great wealth of info here.

I am having a pool installed in a few weeks....27ft AG and need filter pump advice.

I currently have 2 pumps ....1 Pentair Superflo model # sf-n1-1a 1 hp pump and a hayward powerflo 1 hp.

I ran sand with my last pool and want to upgrade to a cartridge filter...reading various threads on different sites I see the common advice is "bigger is better".

taking that into consideration I have a line on a few different filters at a reasonable price and wonder opinions as to what pump and what filter I should use.

The first filter is a Hayward c2030 225sq. ft cartridge.

The 2nd is a Jandy CL580 580 sq. ft cartridge filter.

Big difference I know......I have a friend with a 16x32 IG and uses a 150 sq ft cartridge filter and his water is beautiful....I always thought it was to small but....

I will run 2" hard line for the plumbing to help with flow.

Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

225 should be sufficient but do yourself a favor and put in a bypass for opening because opening with a cartridge can be PITA.

The maximum flow rate for the Pentair is 225 GPM so more than enough. even the APSP-15 rate is 84 GPM and I doubt either of those pumps can produce that much flow rate on AG plumbing so you are safe there too.

It wouldn't hurt to go with the bigger filter but it probably wouldn't help much either. With only 3-4 months per year of operation, you probably don't need the 225 sq-ft either. I am pretty sure you will be able to go all season without cleaning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I decide to stick with sand...will my Hayward s210t be sufficient paired with the pentair superflo for my 18k gal pool.

After researching cartridge filters and the cost of replacement filters...sand is looking better to me everyday.

270 is 27" and yes, the 21" is technically a little too small for the pump but it may work just fine until you are trying to filter out very small debris.

will the Pentair superlo be to powerful for the 24" filter..? Looking at the specs the pump max flow is about 20gpm more than the pump.

This is all new to me so I want to make the right decision...

thanks for answering my "newb" questions.

Until now I would have used any filter/pump combo without a second thought.

Almost forgot....should I plumb this with 1 1/2 or 2"..? I have 1 skimmer/return...27ft round AG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.