Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Change Sand Process

1. Back To Top    #1

Change Sand Process

I am going to be changing the sand in my sand filter (because of a wonderful conversion from Baquacil to Chlorine - see more here) and found these words about the steps to do it. Anything to consider besides these points?

To replace the sand in your filter you must first disconnect the pipes going into the valve on top of the filter. Next, unscrew the complete valve counter-clockwise. Once the valve has been removed, you will be able to see the sand bed. The best way to remove the sand is to either use a portable vac or just dip it out with a small can. Once the old sand has been removed, fill the tank 2/3 full of water and just pour the new sand in. DO NOT get sand in the vertical pipe sticking up from the bottom of the filter tank.
    Chris

18'x36' (Depth: deep 8'6" shallow 3'6") rectangular 27,000 Gallon Vinyl In Ground. Hayward self-priming super pump 1 HP 2600x5-96, Hayward Pro Series High Rate 24" 7-Position 300 lb Sand Filter, Hayward H250 Natural Gas 250,000 BTU Electronic Ignitiion - Digital Readout Heater, Hayward Navigator 925V PoolVac.

Converted Baquacil to Chlorine - should have done it sooner!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Change Sand Process

Be careful of the laterals, they're pretty fragile. Be gentle until you get them covered, other than that, its simple.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    Chris

18'x36' (Depth: deep 8'6" shallow 3'6") rectangular 27,000 Gallon Vinyl In Ground. Hayward self-priming super pump 1 HP 2600x5-96, Hayward Pro Series High Rate 24" 7-Position 300 lb Sand Filter, Hayward H250 Natural Gas 250,000 BTU Electronic Ignitiion - Digital Readout Heater, Hayward Navigator 925V PoolVac.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's really not that hard to do, just take it slow. Like Molson said, watch out for the laterals, they are easy to damage.

5. Back To Top    #5

When we recently changed ours, we also covered the pipe in the middle with duct tape to keep any sand from getting in during the process.

Seemed to work great!
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Good luck with the sand change! Please remember to backwash the filter right after adding the new sand!! (a lot of folks overlook this and the pool can get very cloudy if the fine debris in the new sand is allowed to enter the pool)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by hlemon
    When we recently changed ours, we also covered the pipe in the middle with duct tape to keep any sand from getting in during the process.

Seemed to work great!
    I thought about that, thanks for confirming for me.
    Chris

8. Back To Top    #8

Done, not too bad a job at all!
    Chris

9. Back To Top    #9

I didn't think so either! Good job.
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter