New pool owner

Jul 6, 2014
Country Club, MO
Just had a 16'x33' vinyl "sport" pool installed. Enjoyed 1 swim on the evening of the 4th then the clouds opened up. Mud runoff into the pool even though the retaining wall was holding most of it back. But it was a true gully washer.

So that is the reason I found your site. Did some maintenance, vacuumed to waste, filled up pool, lots of shock, going to re vacuum today even though it doesn't appear to need it....all because of your site (I can see the drains again)!

After having those results I decided to join. I will update my profile when I have time. Ordering the TF-100 tonight after work. When I get the kit and do my first test ill post results and ask for some feedback.

Welcome to TFP! You will love how easy your pool is to maintain with the help of people on this site. Of all the forums I have been a part of, this one is by far one of the best ones for quick answers from knowledgeable people and is chalked full of invaluable information.

Here's to sparkly clear water with you knowing exactly what is in it and why it's there :).

Glenn

Hi, Tennis Nut!
Just had a 16'x33' vinyl "sport" pool installed. [...] I will update my profile when I have time. Ordering the TF-100 tonight after work. When I get the kit and do my first test ill post results and ask for some feedback.

Please update your profile (especially your signature) at the earliest opportunity, especially the details about your pool.
Yes, post your results once you get the kit.

Converted to BBB?
I don't quite understand this question.
If you meant to ask whether you can convert to the BBB method (now known as the TFPC method), then the answer is definitely yes!
It appears that you have already made the decision to follow the TFPC method by ordering the TF-100, keep it up!

Ah man. I already ordered the kit! Lol.

Ill update my profile right now, just couldn't do it on a cell phone.

I figured out what BBB meant. :)

I don't have all my numbers needed to post because I don't have the kit, but my chlorine is around 1 and my PH is way too high...those numbers are based off of a reagent kit we picked up from Wal-Mart until the TF-100 arrives on 07-11-2014. We were using the test strips and even with our above ground pool last year the chlorine kept showing zero, so we threw the strips out thinking they were too old and were incorrect.

As I stated in the original post, we ended up with a landslide of mud after a heavy heavy rain. I realize everyone will say "fix the mud and retaining wall" but we can't do anything until I finish the fence. Once the fence is finished I will regrade the dirt, throw some landscape netting down and put some river rock on top of it to help control the runoff and for aesthetics.

Again, without the help from trolling this site, I wouldn't have known what to do when we had a pond the other day instead of a pool. I was tickled with the results and decided to join because we really have no clue how to properly maintain a pool. So with that said, I can't give you many numbers from testing the water except for the chlorine and PH levels. We have a small gathering for our daughters tomorrow for 2 hours where they wanted to invite some friends over for a swimming party to initiate the pool opening. I am concerned I will have to cancel because everything seems to be out of whack with the balance of the water, but I think we will just have it anyway and work on the balance starting tomorrow after everyone leaves.

We have been swimming the last few days and even though the water is ice cold it doesn't appear to be giving us any health problems, irritation or discomfort which is why we decided to continue on with the party.

So until Friday, I will be unable to give any accurate numbers, but I will entertain any advice on balancing the chlorine and PH....which I know isn't possible until I have the other test results....whew...I'm finished :)

Have you added stabilizer (CYA)? That chlorine level of 1 is not high enough. You need to watch that. With zero stabilizer, that level of 1 will burn off quickly. If you HAVE added stabilizer, then a level of 1 is too low. Either way it's an opportunity for an algae bloom.

I have only added chlorine. The pool place wanted me to bring in a sample today but I want to do this without thwm pushing all sorts of junk at me. Im on my way to get some stabilizer....anything else I should pick up? I still have 1.5 gallons of liquid chlorine left.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before we can tell you what you need we need to know where you are. :testresults:
He's still waiting for his TF100.

Tennis Nut, you can but stabilizer at Walmart or a big box hardware store that has a pool section. Then you don't have to go near the pool store at all. Bleach and stabilizer are all you can be sure of without test results. But while you're out and about, look around. Do some price comparisons on bleach. Look to see who sells acid. See if your local grocery store has borax or washing soda in the laundry aisle. Then when you know what you need, you'll know who has it at the best price.

I forgot to respond earlier before I posted the pic. I scored 4 gallons of shock and 1 gallon of muriatic acid for $21.00 at a local chemical company. I added 1/4 of a gallon of the acid and tested the water 1.5 hours later. PH was 7.2. Tested again 2 hours later (just now) and it is now 7.4-7.5. :) I will shock it tonight once the sun goes down and retest in the morning. The "expert" at the chemical company said to only shock in the evening time and also said they offer free water analysis without the pressure of buying what they have. He smiled and said, you can buy the acid here or somewhere else, but our 1 gallon is only $4.99 and I'm pretty sure you'll spend that much in gas just going store to store. :)

BTW, the water is crystal clear and after using goggles underwater today I didn't seem to see any dirt particles from the great wash out a few days ago

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.