Mustard Hater

ge2655

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
I HATE MUSTARD ALGAE!!!!!

Living in South Florida, I have had my bouts and issues with this scourge. After discovering this great forum back in 2008, I began my education in how to properly care for my pool. I read everything, acquired the necessary tools and was diligent in my procedures and duties. My reward was the best looking pool I ever had.

I’ve been able to keep the dreaded mustard under control by maintaining high (20-24 ppm) FC at all times, (during the winter, it could slip to 18 but no lower) and PH between 7.4 – 7.6 but no higher. This has worked well for a few years.

Stupidly, I got a bit lazy and allowed the FC to drift to the mid-teens for a few days. This coupled with the fact that my chlorinator cell is failing has spawned an outbreak of the demon’s condiment.

I HATE MUSTARD ALGAE!!!!!

Removed and replaced filter cartridge (it was battered) and stocked up on bleach and have been mustard shocking since Thursday evening. With a CYA of 65 ppm, I need to maintain FC levels of 40 plus. Add bleach – sweep – place tools in pool – test – add bleach – sweep – place tools in pool – repeat for what seems eternity.

On day two, aside from the normal routine above, all fixtures, return outlets, skimmer box, pool skim, etc were scrubbed with a stiff brush.

Now day three…my New England Clam Chowder filled pool is beginning to clear…not quite consommé yet but getting there. I rinsed off the cartridge, and am running my MX-8 cleaner for a few hours to pickup the dead ‘dust’ from the bottom. Hoping tonight is the last night I need to run the filter constantly.

IMHO = Mustard algae is the worst pool affliction.

Moral of the story - Don’t get lazy and stay diligent.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I HATE MUSTARD ALGAE!!!!!

Regards,
-Gary

Don’t get lazy and stay diligent.
Hey, ge, I would be a lot happier if you would stop TELLING ME THE TRUTH. :suspect:

I get mustard algae in my pool just about every end of July - early August.

It is ALWAYS because I am lazy and do not stay diligent!!!

With my year after year experience, I am quite good at clearing it usually within 48 hours but it waits for me the rest of the swim season should I slip up again. :grrrr::grrrr:

Boston,

Mustard algae looks like fine yellowish-brown dust that grows on the sides and bottom of the pool usually in a shady area. It brushes away easily but returns and multiplies quickly.

Regards,
-Gary

Hey, ge, I would be a lot happier if you would stop TELLING ME THE TRUTH. :suspect:

I get mustard algae in my pool just about every end of July - early August.

It is ALWAYS because I am lazy and do not stay diligent!!!

With my year after year experience, I am quite good at clearing it usually within 48 hours but it waits for me the rest of the swim season should I slip up again. :grrrr::grrrr:

Dave,

I remember when I first joined TFP I had read a post from someone (it might have been you in fact) who said..."owning a pool is like owning a pet" meaning it requires time and dedication. When being confronted with this dreaded mustard algae constantly, in my case it is like owning a 'special needs' pet. Just can't take your eye off it for very long.

Your brother in mustard misery,
-Gary

I thought I had the dreaded scourge as well. It turned out not to be the case, but I share your misery as I slammed, scrubbed, washed, wiped, everything in sight for weeks. It made me completely neurotic! May the bleach gods shine down on you and help you squelch the demon. lol

Yep, I'm in south Florida as well and summer time is the most difficult. I also have to maintain an abnormally high FC level to keep it away. It is frustrating because I am a technical person and a bit of a perfectionist. I test water chemistry daily, and even maintaining FC levels above the CYA chart is not enough. My FC needs to be in the teens (CYA currently 50) to keep the MA away. I feel your pain!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Boston,

Mustard algae looks like fine yellowish-brown dust that grows on the sides and bottom of the pool usually in a shady area. It brushes away easily but returns and multiplies quickly.

Regards,
-Gary
Mine must be stains, I took a piece of PVC, and put it over some that were in the shallow end used MA, and it came out...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.