Water a little Cloudy

Sep 8, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Good morning folks, I would really appreciate some feedback.

Our SWG pool water turned a little cloudy for the first time (we've owned the pool for about a year). We had a large crew of kids swimming here last weekend for Canada Day (PS - Happy July 4th long weekend to those of you in the US!). I'm currently sitting with the following:

pH - 7.6
TA - 100
CH - 250
FC - 1
CC - 0
CYA - 30

Yesterday, I had zero readings for FC and CC, which I suspect is the culprit. I turned my flow rate up from 20% to 65% overnight to increase the chlorination. Am I on the right track? I've never SLAMed before, would this be a situation to consider it? The water is better this morning. It is hot and sunny here in the Toronto area and the pool is right in the direct sunlight all day. Should we avoid swimming in the pool until this condition is in check?

Thanks very much for any input or advice you can offer.

Kevin

Some cloudiness is normal after a large pool party. It is best to add some extra chlorine manually both right before and right after the party, but even with that you often still get some cloudiness.

I recommend manually raising FC to 6 this morning, and everything should be fine after that.

By the by, our recommended CYA level with a SWG is between 70 and 80. Running with CYA at 30 will lead to less stable operation and shorter SWG cell lifetime.

Thanks very much for quick response...would one 2L bleach jug be a good place to start?

Thanks for recommendation on the CYA, the pool company recommeded I run it between 30-50, which seemed low compared to everything I read here. I will raise that up too for better stabalization. A great idea to add some before the party, that seems pretty obvious now, I'm learning and logging all this stuff as I go...

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.