Through Wall Skimmer on Rectangular Intex

Jul 5, 2014
Fairgrove, MI
We spent one summer without a pool after our 19 yr old above ground model finally rusted through the sidewall near the skimmer. Just bought and setup an Intex 9x18x52 pro series model with skimmer and saltwater add on filter. Filled it today, but am concerned the sidewalls seem to still be bowed out some after it's filled to the proper level. Is this normal? There are also wrinkles in the liner on the top where the metal supports go through. Here is a photo. Appreciate any advice from someone who has been there!IMG_South.jpg

Hi there and welcome to TFP... :)

Just looking at your photos, the pool doesn't seem level..... And it looks to be off by about 2 inches.... This would contribute to the sides bowing in like that....

This isn't an intex pool either.... Its a Pro Series, they are two different companies.... I can tell as it looks different to my Intex 18 x 9 x 52....

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you may have to level again... So that means a complete drain and re-level... :-( This is important as the sides will continue to bow unless corrected....

The above is just my opinion, but the industry standard for level is within 1 inch..... Do you have pavers underneath the legs? That can cause some sinkage...

In regards to the comment of being out of level, the photo is an illusion. Look at the roofline of the house, compared to the pool top. They are both the same angle dropping to the right, meaning the house is out of level too, or most likely just a photo illusion.
I can see the water line in the pool at the back edge, looks pretty level.

Thanks for the input. Our yard wasn't level so hubby hauled in some sand and spent lots of time leveling it. Then we put pressure treated wood 15"x15"x1.25" under each leg flush with the top of the sand. Put a tarp over all of it because we live near the water and it gets very windy. I was concerned about sand blowing away or my cats and dogs digging in the sand. There were lots of creaks and groans and apparently shifting while the pool was filling. The end nearest the camera is approx 1" lower than the opposite end. It looked better today. At this point the biggest complaint is the ladder is not very sturdy. Suggestions for an upgrade would be appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.