Just making sure I'm not missing anything....

First Pool Judith

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2014
Georgetown, Texas
OK So I've been doing the BBB method since our pool was built in Nov of 2013. Juts making sure I'm not missing anything as I'm not experiencing any problems - BUT I do need to add daily to my pool.

FC - usually between 3.6 - 4.2. I test the water every day and put in enough chlorine to bring it to 6 (knowing the sun will burn it up during the day). I usually add between 40-60 oz of chlorine daily just depending on what the pool calculator recommends
CC - 0
PH - always 7.6. I add 23 oz daily. Using the pool calculator this brings it to 7.2 but by the next day it is 7.6
TA - usually 70. I have problems keeping it up. Goes to 60 and then I add about 4 lbs of baking soda. This brings it to 80 but then it drops down fairly quickly within a day or 2 to 70...
CH:300
CYA: 45

Am I doing the right things? It seems like I add a lot of cholrine but we're averaging about 95 degrees during the day. We were not using our aerator till now, and now that I've turned it on, the PH is staying the same... The water looks perfect.

Thank you for any advice if I need to do something different!!

At a CYA of 45, you're in between 40 and 50. The recommended minimum FC for 40 is 3 and for 50 is 4 so if you keep it above 3.5 at all times, you shouldn't have any issues.

As far as pH goes, I really wouldn't adjust it unless it climbs above 7.8. Adding acid to constantly bring it down to 7.2 will constantly be lowering your TA. I'd say back off on adding acid so regularly and you're pH will likely stabilize for longer periods at or below 7.8 and you'll have less issues with having to bump up TA. No need to target 80 just for the sake of keeping it there at a somewhat arbitrary recommendation. It should settle at a number for longer periods based on your total pool chemistry if left alone a bit more. If you plug your numbers into Pool Math and as long as with your current levels the CSI number is not indicative of corrosion or scaling, let the pH drift naturally more often and don't worry too much about keeping a certain TA number.

I'd also say your chlorine usage is pretty normal with high temps and likely lots of sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.