What do I do next?

Jun 29, 2014
Houston
Hello Everyone! We just moved into our first house and now also own our first pool. We decided to go the BBB route after reading so much about it on here. So, the water is clear, some black algae dots on bottom of pool, lots of green on the sides, some scaling, lots of staining... The inspector told us we basically need to replace the plaster, but we want to hold off for another year or two. I've brushed the pool, but it still looks the same.

Our numbers:

In-ground Gunite
Hayward DE filter
17,000 gal

pH - 7.5
FC - 1.6
CC - 0?
TA - 80
CH - 180
CYA - 0? We used the Taylor K-2006 and the dot never disappeared :/ We added 4lbs stabilizer a couple days ago, but not testing it again for another week, right?

OK, now what? Is it safe to swim in? The pool walls/concrete look yucky, but the water is nice and clear. Also, every time I add a new chemical, should I have the pump run for a longer period of time? Right now we have our timer set for about 8-9 hours a day.

Thanks in advance -- this site is so great!

Welcome PoolNoob! :wave:

You got a good idea on ordering a good test kit and adding CYA. You mentioned you had algae growing in the way of Black dots and lots of green on the sides. Well, I would SLAM the pool then. Brush it daily and SLAM it to coincide with the amount of CYA you added. You can read about it here :lookhere: SLAMing Your Pool. Once you pass the Overnight FC Loss Test, you can let your FC fall back into range with your CYA. You can find that info here :lookhere: Chlorine CYA Chart. If you pass the OCLT and you still have black algae, run a slightly higher FC level and brush those spots with a metal pool brush daily until they are all gone.

If you have any questions, ask away!

Thanks, Butterfly -- I added my information in the signature! The pool is oooold. Pieces of plaster were breaking off when I brushed. :(

So... bad news. After adding all the bleach for the slam, I woke up this morning to a very very loud pump. It looked like there was hardly any water where the pump basket is, so I switched it off and went to work. I came home and turned it back on and saw about three pin hole leaks coming from the side of the pump. We JUST BOUGHT THE HOUSE. We have AHS warranty -- hope the pump is covered. Anyone have any experience with AHS and/or pump leaks/replacements?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

At least I thought I had my signature saved. Let's try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Copy and paste will do :)

17000 gal IG Gunite
Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
Pentair Challenger Pump
10-20 years old?
Taylor K-2006

We JUST BOUGHT THE HOUSE. We have AHS warranty -- hope the pump is covered. Anyone have any experience with AHS and/or pump leaks/replacements?

Thanks
Pools and Spas are not covered in the standard AHS policy. You need to pull out the contract you got and see it they added the optional coverage.
Pricing & Plans

Our home protection plans provide confidence that if a covered item breaks, you may not feel the sudden pinch that comes with appliance and system repairs or replacements - not to mention the stress that comes with finding a qualified service contractor. You just get the confidence that comes with knowing that you've covered this one in advance.
Optional Add-Ons

Didn't see something specific on the lists above? Don't worry. You can always add coverage for each of the following to your plan (additional cost per item):

• Pool/Spa
• Water Softener
• Well Pump
• Septic Pumping

Good news is the pump was replaced... bad news is the water level has decreased considerably-- I added water through garden hose for about an hour. Today the level looks slightly lower and I noticed the skimmer closest to the filter and pump is pulling water into it with quite a bit of force.. is that supposed to happen? This is turning into a headache.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news is the pump was replaced... bad news is the water level has decreased considerably-- I added water through garden hose for about an hour. Today the level looks slightly lower and I noticed the skimmer closest to the filter and pump is pulling water into it with quite a bit of force.. is that supposed to happen? This is turning into a headache.

Thanks
That depends on how things are plumbed.

Is each skimmer on a separate valve? What about the main drain? It could be there should be a diverter in there, or there is and it needs adjusting. Also look that the skimmer flapper isn't sticking or missing.

Well, we cleaned the filter, added more DE, so that helped with the efficiency. We saw bubbles coming out of the return jets and found an air leak possibly with the pump lid since the bubbles decreased when we tightened it. Hopefully replacing it will take care of that issue...

When the filter is on, we noticed a drip by the multi-port valve and some water dripping into the backwash/waste line. Any insight to this?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.