Athens, GA - USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Me and the kids were swimming today when one of the swallowed a lot of water causing him to vomit. It was a copious amount. Should not have had that extra waffle for breakfast. This quickly caused a case of sympathy vomit in the other child.

I quickly got both kids out and hosed them down. Skimmed off all of the solids that I could. Poured in about half gallon of bleach (all that I had on hand) and a bag of shock. I plan to leave the pump running all night and see where we are in the morning.

For now on, I will try to keep more bleach on hand. I don't think I have any specific questions. Just wanted to share with the group.

This is the first time I have used bleach in the pool as I am still using the pucks (I know, I know, I will quit soon. I promise). My FC is now up to 8.5 with CYA under 20. I wish I could go a little higher but short another bag of shock it is all I can do at the moment. I will make a run to town tomorrow to stock up on bleach.

yup, +1 on what he said.

Do you have a level of chlorine you're trying to get to ?? Or just trying to bleach the vision out of your memory ??
I've never had it happen (yet) so I'm wondering what the proper measures to take are ?? I'm sure you were spot on with the netting anything you can but I don't know if you really need to overly chlorinate it to sanitize the balance. I don't think you'd need to, but I don't know and I'd likely toss extra bleach in here myself :suspect:

I'm sorry but all I can think of is Caddy Shack where they see the brown "thing" floating in the pool and there is screaming, people flying out of the pool, pool drained and a crew scrubbing it and then Bill Murray picks up the brown "thing" and bites into the candy bar. :joker:

With your cya so low you could probably use another bag of shock to raise your cya a bit
That certainly works but it is not something TFP would suggest as standard procedure.

Especially with new members, we like to see one parameter at a time adjusted. It helps eliminate a lot of confusion and chance for error.

Do you have a level of chlorine you're trying to get to ?? Or just trying to bleach the vision out of your memory?

I wanted to hit 10 (from pool school). My main goal was to give everyone a little peace of mind. It was bad. Reminded me of the pie eating contest from the movie Stand By Me.

Some of the "solids" accumulated at the bottom in the center of the pool overnight. Vacuumed this up and every thing looks good. Even though the kids said they are never getting back in last night I think the are looking forward to it today.

This scenario is why I like to keep a big bucket of cal-hypo on hand. It stores well and in a crisis, you will not have enough bleach on hand to really shock the pool when you need it.

After vacuuming out the remaining solids, I'd raise the FC to shock levels.

Not sure why you are operating with the CYA so low in GA, that is far enough south that you need to be at 40 if not 50 to maintain FC on a sunny day with lots of swimmers.

Low CYA is not intentional. I add a bottle when I first opened the pool (this is my first year) but I did not realize it took a week to dissolve. I think I might have lost a lot of it during my first backwash. I plan to add more when I stop using the pucks but was scared to get it too high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.