Back from vacation w/ cloudy pool & no CYA

pjpool

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2008
NY state
We went away on vacation for a week. During that time, my parents (who happen to be my neighbors) ran the pool for me for the usual 7-8 hours a day. Prior to leaving, I shut down my liquidator and added some tri-chlor pucks to the erosion feeder. I had figured this would be the easiest route while I was away. Unfortunately, I had underestimated the amount of tri-chlor to add resulting in a cloudy pool upon my return. The bottom of the shallow end was not visible. Using what I have learned from this site, I again have crystal clear water. This process took about 24 gallons of 6% bleach over a 18 hour period. Here is the weird part; prior to leaving my numbers were:
FC : 4-5
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA : 80
CH: 80
CYA: 40-50

After getting the pool cleared up:
FC : 1.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.0 (currently battling w/ borax)
TA : 90
CH: 80
CYA: 0 ?????????????????

I have tested several times and have failed to get a CYA reading. Currently, I have added CYA granuals and remain on the pucks to get the CYA up....also adding a lot of borax to combat the low ph associated w/ adding CYA. Does anyone have any idea where my CYA went?

That's wierd....they only thing I can think of is test malfunction or error? Bad reagent? In any case I think it's ok to assume your CYA is at least what it was before, unless your parents drained your entire pool and didn't tell you....LOL Your FC should be higher to prevent a return of algae. Even if your CYA was 0 I would keep it at 2, minimum...till you get this figured out, and then target appropriately.

The reagent that I'm using was ordered this year from TFT test kits along w/ the liquidator. I have two separate bottles; both test the same and one of them gave me the readings before vacation. I have tested again today still showing a zero result. I am beginning to believe the zero reading for I am having a hard time getting the FC up to two or higher......w/ no CYA that makes sense due to sunlight consumption. CCs are still at zero. The cloudiness that I had in the pool was white in nature....not very green at all. I wonder if the nasties that I had in the pool were of the same type that eat CYA in some northern pools over the winter? I guess I'll know in a few more days when the new stabilizer I added dissolves. Very wierd......

It is not algae that eat CYA but anerobic (oxygen hating) bacteria that are usually found in soil. Unless the pool was totally stagnant with no circulation or sunlight then that is NOT where your CYA went.

It was quite hot and sunny the week we went away and I know the pool pump was run due to the fact that the tri-chlor pucks I put in were almost totally gone. Next year, I think I'll just top off the liquidator. I didn't do so this year for I only have a few months experience with it thus far and wanted to "play it safe". Lesson learned. As far as it being a bad batch of CYA, levels have been fine from opening (mid May) until now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know if there is any interest in this thread but if there is, here is an update:

I have been slowly adding CYA all week by using both Trichlor tabs and methodical additions of chrystalized CYA in 0.5 lb increments. My thought process has been if the CYA is still present and I'm missing it by either poor testing or bad reagents, I didn't want to put myself in a situation that got me interested and hooked on BBB in the first place (CYA of 100+). Water has been crystal clear. I have been testing for CYA almost daily and today I finally have a trace amount. The black dot is still clear at the end of the test however, the water is noticibly cloudy. Previoulsly, the tests have been completely clear. So, what does this all mean?

1)It now appears that I somehow "lost" 40-50ppm of cya in a 32Kgal pool in one week. Does anyone have any idea why? I would love to hear theories.

2)TFP is the BEST website known to man when it comes to pool care. Without the knowledge that I have gained from this forum, I would not have been able to corelate low CYA levels and daily sunlight CL2 consumption (very valuable in this instance). This explains why I have had a hard time maintianing a FC level of 2+.

3) My reagents are fine? (Although I have new bottles on order; Thanks TFTK)

4) CYA does not come in "bad batches" (for you FSPmom :-D )

I hope to be at my normal levels shortly; awaiting new reagents to be sure of next action.

PJ,

Yeah, I've been watching your thread from the beginning. I haven't posted because I'm just as stumped as you are and hate to post when I'm simply guessing.

I like your caution as you re-add CYA.....that's smart. I really wish I could contribute even a plausible theory as to where it went......I'm clueless.

actually, there was a thread either on here or PF last year, I forget where, about bad CYA that did not have any effect when added. IF I remember correctly it had come from Leslies.

My 2 questions are, was there any rain while you were away and is it possible that your parents were 'topping off' the pool and forgot to shut the hose off. It happens! (I've been known to do it more than once! :shock: )

waterbear said:
actually, there was a thread either on here or PF last year, I forget where, about bad CYA that did not have any effect when added. IF I remember correctly it had come from Leslies.

My 2 questions are, was there any rain while you were away and is it possible that your parents were 'topping off' the pool and forgot to shut the hose off. It happens! (I've been known to do it more than once! :shock: )

I'm told that there were some evening thunderstorms along w/ rain but nothing excessive. They didn't top off the pool for there was no need to. My parents are also pool owners and understand the need to run the filter daily so that was done as well. The low Cl levels were a result of me not adding a sufficient amount of pucks before leaving for vacation. I ran a full set of test 2 days prior to leaving and the CYA was in the 40-50 range. All of it was gone upon return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.