Help with Bug problem

All you can do it skim 'em and stomp 'em. I have tried to pour acid on them, superchlorinate my pool, and i have tried the bug out stuff. Nothing kills them except for your foot. Honestly, i thought for sure that shocking would get them, but it made them feel romantic and they just made a whole lot more it seems.

I've got so many different kinds of bugs now that I call a 'melting pot'. Kind of like when all the immigrants came to the USA. I'm convinced that there is nothing out there to keep them out.

teppy said:
All you can do it skim 'em and stomp 'em. I have tried to pour acid on them, superchlorinate my pool, and i have tried the bug out stuff. Nothing kills them except for your foot. Honestly, i thought for sure that shocking would get them, but it made them feel romantic and they just made a whole lot more it seems.

I've got so many different kinds of bugs now that I call a 'melting pot'. Kind of like when all the immigrants came to the USA. I'm convinced that there is nothing out there to keep them out.

Or add borates or the 'bug out' product...there are options! from the best of my little knowledge both will actually drown the bugs, most water bugs actually need oxygen to live, when the water has a 'thickness' barrier that won't let them swim up, they drown...screw them :)

It was funny, I actually caught a backswimmer one day, kept smacking him under the water then finally got our polaris near me and sucked him in it...what a joy to see that evil little bugger die in a $29 bag :D

Not sure what you have, but I have/had backswimmers and that ugly thing you've got isn't them! Backswimmers are actually called Water Boatmen, which also have a nasty sting that lasts for about 10 minutes (feels like a bee sting and you won't forget it). They live off of Lesser Water Boatmen, which DO NOT STING :lol: , swim on their fronts and live off of algae, and look almost identical to the Water Boatmen, which DO STING :rant: , except that they swim on their backs!

So to make this even funner, now that I've had to do my share of research on these nasty little creeps, the algae lives, in part, off of phospates and nitrides/nitrates. The Lesser Water Boatmen live off the algae. The Water Boatmen live off the Lesser Water Boatmen.

Oh, and the Boatmen are much smaller and have creepy long legs in back that make very good oars!

As they sing in Lion King... The circle of life!!

I realize from another post I read that the pebble-tec finish might be attracted the bugs to our pool. We used a brand new color from our pool builder and actually has some brown specs in it the same color these bugs have. I think they are confusing more of thier kind. The fact that NO ONE has these same bugs in my area makes we wonder if thats the case. I get the occasional backswimmer and boatman, but these guys are mutants :(

What part of Arizona are you in? I'm just north of Tucson, and like I said, I've seen a few. I'm not pebble-tec, either! (When I dump out my skimmer basket, I always have a nice assortment of bugs. I think one of those guys who study insects would have a lot of fun with it.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I honestly don't know. We have pop ups and you would think they would hate the environment with all the moving water. They insist on staying in the water and aviod the skimmer. I read another post saying that they actually love the skimmer filter since they won't drown. We had rain yesterday and we had these guys, backswimmer and all sorts of bugs this morning to skim out. This is just using algeacide back up a few days ago. I am lost for words for the problems we are having. NOTHING seems to get rid of them.

We are in a new housing community with farms surrounding us. I hope once this area is more developed, this won't be much of a problem

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.