Building an Energy Efficient Pump

Technigogo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I am very interested in this option (B2984 with external switch/automation). However, my wet-end has a crack in it so I want to replace the entire pump. What recommendations can you make for buying the wet-end (both where and what model) to buy and then add the B2984 motor?

Why not just buy the entire pump? The extra efficiency of that motor on low speed will probably not be enough to pay for the cost difference of a piece wise purchase vs the entire purchase.

Why not just buy the entire pump? The extra efficiency of that motor on low speed will probably not be enough to pay for the cost difference of a piece wise purchase vs the entire purchase.
Ok. I like your point. Now I guess I'm back to "what pump"?

Is there a specific brand that most folks would agree on as quality or best?

Also, the VS pumps don't seem to advertise HP so I'm not sure how to adequately size for my pool. I've always been inclined to over buy for quality, performance and longevity reasons.

You don't mention the spa in your signature. You very likely need a pump larger than 1 HP to get the correct effect from the spa jets.

What specific pump do you have now? And how are the spa jets with that pump? That will tell us what size pump you need to have the spa work well.

2014-07-05 11.28.21.jpg

I currently have a B129

The spa jets are fine in my opinion. We have a blower system also but I don't turn it on. Partly because the blower motor is going out and is super loud but mostly because I don't really like the loudness of even a properly working spa blower system in the spa itself. I prefer a calm, relaxing soak instead of a vigorous beating.

Also, I have a Polaris but it has it's own booster pump so I assume it is irrelevant to the pool pump sizing discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

I will update my signature. I didn't really know how to phrase it when I created my signature several years ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have shown a picture of the motor but the pump is important too. What is the make/model of the pump (i.e. wet end)? Picture will do too if you don't know.

Mark,

The label is unreadable. It looks like just a cheap base model Hayward. I've included a picture of it.

On closer inspection, I am now thinking the leak is from my shaft seal and not the housing. Is this pump "good enough" to just replace the motor with the super cool B2984 motor (rebuilding the wet end too, of course)?

2014-07-05 12.37.10.jpg

That is a Super II pump and probably the SP3015EEAZ. It is a full rated 1 1/2 HP pump.

An equivalent pump in a two speed:

Whisperflo WFDS-6 or WFDS-28
TriStar SP32152EE

How are your spa jets, too strong, weak or just right?

I think they are just right. They pull in air when the spa is on just like they are supposed to.

So, is the pump any good? Can I just upgrade with new 2-speed efficient motor? Also, I'm learning about the C-flange and Square-flange. Is one better than the other? I notice that the B2984 seems to only be available for the square-flange. Since, my current pump is a C-flange, would something like this perform as well or better than the B2984? ...or would I be better off in the long run just getting a whole new assembly (pump, motor)

If it helps for positive identification, here is a picture of the unreadable label:

2014-07-05 11.28.29.jpg

Super II is a 56J frame so you can't use a 56Y square frame.

But yes, you can replace the motor with a two speed but I thought you said the wet end was cracked.

If you want to just replace the motor, the B977/B2977 is the correct motor.

Mark, I did say I thought the housing was cracked before. But, after taking the motor out to inspect the condition of the impeller and shaft seal, I now think it is just the shaft seal leaking. Also, when the pump is off, the concrete pad stays completely dry (no leaking). It only leaks when running. The water was coming from underneath the pump so I assumed it was the housing but now I understand that water that makes it past the shaft seal then drains through a drain channel on the bottom of the flange. So, now I am thinking I may just take the easy way out and install a go kit, impeller and new high efficiency motor.

Is the model of pump (wet end) that I have, good enough for me to reap the benefits of a new high efficiency 2-speed motor?

I have read several times that the impeller is changed out for a 1 HP impeller when installing the 2-speed motor. Can you expand on that?

Yes it sounds like a shaft seal leak and a common point of failure.

Is the model of pump (wet end) that I have, good enough for me to reap the benefits of a new high efficiency 2-speed motor?
Absolutely. The difference in wet end performance is much much smaller than that between full speed and low speed.

I have read several times that the impeller is changed out for a 1 HP impeller when installing the 2-speed motor. Can you expand on that?
Given that you have a spa, I would highly recommend that you do not replace your existing impeller. Reducing the size of the impeller will make the spa jets weaker.

Mark, thank you immensely for sharing your expertise with me and your guidance. Last question (I think):

Can you recommend a super efficient 2-speed motor for my application?

Here are the points I think are relevant:
1. Electric rate here is .11
2. Full sun most of the day on the pool
3. We will live in this house till we die so ROI is easier given the length of time allowed
4. Most of my plumbing is 2" except for the detour it takes through the Raypak heater where it is 1.5"
5. I will be installing remote and automation (valves, etc) as soon as I settle on a standard I like that is available. (I wonder if there are any Insteon systems?)
6. I have an AutoPilot SC-60 SWG installed which currently controls the pump but it won't manage a 2-speed motor to the best of my knowledge. I may have to get that automation system ordered today also.

I really think I need to get the new motor ordered today as my motor bearings are on the brink of failure right now. I'm sure this came from the previously un-diagnosed shaft seal failure. It became very loud yesterday, so much so that I had to turn off the pump during the pool party we had going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.