From Pond to Pool

Feb 24, 2008
We bought our house 11 years ago and with it came a pool. We wanted to fix the pool up but there was always something else needing to be done, so the pool was put on hold. My wife said fix it or fill it in, its embarrassing, So this was the year to finally do it. I've done all the work myself except pouring the concrete (thanks to my neighbor) and the vermiculite & liner(pool company). I think I started in March and filled it with water on July 14th. We still have alot of plans for the landscaping which has not even been started yet, maybe in a few weeks after I spend time swimming with the kids.

Just some of the concrete that was broken up
DSC00351.jpg

We also had about 10 to 15 bull frogs living in the pool & one turtle who appeared this year
DSC00353.jpg

Digging out the walls to repair the panels where they used wedges to hold them together. I used stainless stell brackets & bolts to replace the wedges
DSC00478.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

Ground water was always a problem. I had never seen the bottom.
DSC00480.jpg

I had to repair the skimmer which was not installed correctly & then pressure tested the lines after I relocated the pump & filter to the other side.
DSC00481.jpg

Installing a light was a must
DSC00492.jpg

Used a ladder so I didn't fall in while installing the light
DSC00491.jpg

My wife thought the concrete was not going to come clean... good ol pressure washer
DSC00496.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

Put in 12 tons of gravel brought it up to 6 ft from 8ft & made the slope from shallow to deep end less drastic
DSC00549.jpg

2 yrds of topsoil to repair the sides & the plastic was to cover up the dirt to protect it from the rain (Thats me)
DSC00556.jpg

This is where the pool guys stepped in
DSC00631.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

My daughters can't wait
DSC00645.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

I saved about $6000.00 by doing the work myself. Some of the estimates I got wre way too high the highest being $14,000 with me not doing anything.
I would like to thank everyone on this site for there help & knowledge & the BBB method is working great.
I'll post some pics of the pool now that it's full later (need to take some)

Thank You Again,
One Very Happy Family
Anthony

Anthony! When you said "from pond to pool", you weren't kidding! :shock:

You did a great job! Congratulations! :goodjob:

Your little girl is precious and I'm sure your family is happy with the transformation.

Can't wait to see the pool full of water! :lol:

Anthony,

That was a cool story. You did a great job in a pretty short time by yourself.:goodjob:

What did you do with the turtle and frogs?

I can't believe the pool guys had to rent a mixer. Don't they use one often enough to justify buying one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry I did not reply, We were away on vacation.

The frogs & turtle are alive and well living in a pond about 1/2 mile away.

I had to stop filling the water when it hit the light so the pool guys could come back the next morning to cut everything in,and after he was done I filled the rest.

As far as the landscaping goes we are still unsure what to do along the back fence, maybe river rock and some bushes, there is a pretty good slope down to the fence.

I'll post some new pics this week & rename the post. Thanks for all the great replys,it makes me fell good that everyone likes it.

Anthony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.