Water level in Pool above Skimmer

Jun 11, 2014
Portland, Me
I awoke to Hurricane Arthur's effects causing torrential rains and a precariously high level in our pool. I went to check the pump and the filter had no pressure. I quickly turned it off and went to backwash to drain some of the water. The psi went up to it's normal level. I am leaving the pump off tonight. What happens when the water is too high in an in ground pool? Thanks.

You won't skim properly is what will happen. Somewhere close to center line of the skimmer mouth is where you want to be.

You can simply backwash some more until you have the right water level.

Just curious why you backwashed if the gauge showed no pressure, or did I mis-understand?

You won't skim properly is what will happen. Somewhere close to center line of the skimmer mouth is where you want to be.

You can simply backwash some more until you have the right water level.

Just curious why you backwashed if the gauge showed no pressure, or did I mis-understand?

It was 2 am and I was half asleep. :) It strangely showed pressure on the backwash, which is why I let it run. It is possible that I misread the gauge when the filter was running. I was paranoid about the water height level.

So it will only effect the skimming quality, but will not hurt the pump. I was thinking that must be the issue. Thanks.

Sadly the small frog I rescued during this encounter last night, turned back around and jumped back in. Found him this morning at the bottom. :( I feel very bad for the little critters that do this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.