Changing Pool Light GFCI from outlet to breaker?

May 19, 2012
Thinking of trying another option for the tripping GFCI outlet on my Aqualink RS 8 panel. The outlet is currently in the knockout on the side of the panel. Replaced it twice already. Maybe the pool light we installed last year is a higher watt than the previous one? Would this make a difference?

Could I move the pool light from the GFCI outlet to a GFCI breaker in the panel? If I can do this, where do I move the Pool light relay wires to? Currently, one end of the relay goes to the GFCI load and the other to the existing pigtail.

I'll take any suggestions and help! Thanks..

Helen:brickwall:

do you know any good electricians in your area? This looks like a job for someone experienced in pool electrical. Not something I personally would be comfortable giving advice for over the internet. better to make sure it's done right, than find out we misguided you and cause an accident.

The wattage shouldn't make a difference.

A GFCI that is tripping indicates that whatever you are plugging in to it has a current leak to ground.

If you've already replaced the GFCI outlet twice, I would suspect something is wrong with your light. Either wired incorrectly or an electrical fault.

Can you add a photo to show your wiring?

Whatever you do, DO NOT risk leaving the light plugged into a non-GFCI protected outlet.

If the GFCI outlet does not trip when the light is disconnected, and doesn't trip with something other than the light plugged in, I would say the GFCI is working correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.