Non-Stop cloudiness! Help!

Jun 8, 2014
Oswego, IL
I posted on here a while back, asking about my pool being cloudy and I couldn't fix it. I was told to get a Taylor testing kit, which I did...here's the results...

FC-10.5 ppm (I shocked it like crazy last night to try and clear it up)
Comb. Chlorine- .5 ppm
PH- 7.6
Alkalinity- 180 ppm
Calcium Hardness- 275 ppm
CYA- 0? the test said to put water in until the black dot disappeared; i filled the tube and the dot never disappeared
Saturation Index- .4

I read the PoolSchool stuff, looked at the calculator, and I don't get a lot of what it was saying. Obviously I think the CYA is a problem, but not sure if that would cause the issues I'm having. Any ideas?? The water isn't really all that cloudy, I can see the bottom, it's just not very clear or blue....greenish tint to it. Been driving me nuts for a month and I'm sick of guessing and pouring money into it (maybe that's why it's green! ha)

The size of your pool in gallons----21,000
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)---- AG
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.-------cartridge
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.------Hayward Power Flo LX, 1.5 HP
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.........not sure, here when I bought the house. Would guess 10-12 years old
What kind/model of water test kit you are using -Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner-----none

What product have you been using to shock the pool? Do you have any visible algae? Also, please edit your signature and put all your pool information in there. That way it will show up in every post and we don't have to hunt for the information.

Thanks...I haven't been able to find where to add/edit my signature so I just put it on the bottom this time. I've been using liquid chlorine, 12.5%. Dont' see a lot of algae...but I vacuumed it all clear and clean yesterday and there was a little bit on the bottom this morning.

CYA- 0? the test said to put water in until the black dot disappeared; i filled the tube and the dot never disappeared
Just to be sure... you did mix 50-50 pool water and reagent and mixed it first, correct?

If so, then your CYA level is too low. Any chlorine you've been adding has been broken down by the sun within hours of adding it, which leaves the remainder of the day for algae to grow.

So... get some CYA in the pool - target 30 -- and keep the FC above 12 until you pass all three tests.

Complete instructions are in Shock Level And Maintain in Pool School.

Deep freezing...as in one of the coldest winters in Chicago history??? haha. Thanks again, I'll try adding some CYA. What is the best course of procedure with that? Should I wait until the chlorine drops or just put it in now? All at once or a little at a time and wait? Sorry for the questions, this is all brand new to me.

Deep freezing...as in one of the coldest winters in Chicago history??? haha. Thanks again, I'll try adding some CYA. What is the best course of procedure with that? Should I wait until the chlorine drops or just put it in now? All at once or a little at a time and wait? Sorry for the questions, this is all brand new to me.
Tie it in a sock and set it in the skimmer. Don't wait for it to dissolve, keep chlorinating. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

Yes, swimming is fine while adding CYA. However, you shouldn't swim unless you can clearly see the bottom of the pool.

Due to your high TA, I recommend lowering PH to around 7.0 once, and then lowering it to 7.2 each time it gets up to 7.8 until the TA comes down to something more reasonable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.