Starting up pool for season adding CYA and Chlorine

Jun 29, 2014
texas
I am needing help on just how to add my CYA to the pool and if I can add chlorine at this time? Should I wait on the chlorine until my CYA level is proper? The last owner told me he put it in a sock and put it at the bottom of the spa buy the main drain and let it dissolve this way. Is this a method that would work? I would guess yes. My CYA is at 0 since I have had to drain and clean this nasty pool. Here are my readings as of this morning. What would be my first step? As far as chlorine goes I have Super 3" tablets "HTH brand" and I have cal-hypo 65% "All-Clear chlor-right granules". The stabilizer I have is the HTH brand as well from Wal-Mart.

TC-0
FC-0
PH-6.8
TA-70
TH-200
CYA-0

For your first chlorine addition, add chlorine after sunset. Go ahead and add CYA right away.

Do not add CYA at the bottom of the spa. Doing so can damage the surface of the spa. Put the CYA in a sock and put the sock in a skimmer.

Raise your PH up to around 7.5.

We don't recommend either the tablets or cal-hypo for long term usage. Right at the moment you CH level is a little low, so cal-hypo is goo right now. But when CH levels get up to normal you will probably want to switch to some other form of chlorine.

Ok thank you. What type of chlorine do you prefer I use if the tablets are not good to use? Also what is best to raise PH in your opinion?

attachment.php

Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Well I'll be. I was told bleach wasn't a very effective way to keep pool clean. Glad the cal-hypo was free but these tablets were not too cheap :/ Guess that's why I am on here asking you guys...lol. So bleach is actually the best form to use. Just how long should I wait to test my CYA again? I know to leave pump on for 48hrs but does this mean after 48hrs I will have an accurate reading?

Well I'll be. I was told bleach wasn't a very effective way to keep pool clean. Glad the cal-hypo was free but these tablets were not too cheap :/ Guess that's why I am on here asking you guys...lol. So bleach is actually the best form to use. Just how long should I wait to test my CYA again? I know to leave pump on for 48hrs but does this mean after 48hrs I will have an accurate reading?
Straight from Recommended Pool Chemicals
Solid cyanuric acid can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so it is best not to test the CYA level until one week after adding some.

Yes I have found poolmath thank goodness!!! Thanks for letting me know though :) So from what you guys say add my CYA which I have just done in pantyhose down in my skimmer. Then this evening add my chlorine to what I need it to be at? Do I need it at shock level since it was very very nasty before I cleaned it? Or what I will add the cal-hypo since my CH is a little low but after that its recommended to use bleach.

If you're spending the day at this, I would raise it to shock level, test it again in an hour and raise it to shock level again - if it's nasty there will probably be a significant drop in level. There will be a drop anyway due to sunlight. . This evening when the sun goes down you can do the OCLT test. Do an FC test, and do one again in the morning before the sun comes up. Read up on the OCLT test in pool school.

Does your water look clear at the moment?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.