Old dog - new tricks

Tri-it

Jul 2, 2014
Wilmington/DE
I found this site after sitting in my car in front of the local pool store and thinking 'I just paid $22 for a pail of baking soda!' and the 16 year old clerk had a long list of other stuff he was recommending!
Time to take this pool under my own control! I bought this house with pool 8 years ago and have paid lots for opening/closing/etc. and my goal is to do this on my own!

So happy I found this site. My test kit arrived yesterday, and I've been stocking up on borax, bleach, baking soda and calcium chloride. Current numbers:
FC 4 PPM
Ph 7.5
CH 250
TA 70
CYA 30.

I added calcium chloride yesterday to bring CH from 200 to 250. I added baking soda this morning to bring up TA.
My thought is the CYA will rise from the Trichlor so I wont do anything about that right now (?).

Other than retesting the TA later today - anything else I need to do? (Besides cleaning up from the wicked storms last night!)

8 years of pool boys and pool stores and your CYA is only 30 and calcium only 200? Sounds like they were doing something right, must have been using liquid chlorine?

Keep track of how much trichlor your using so you can adjust your FC levels as your CYA raises. Always keep it above the minimum per the CYA chart. You can use "effect of adding chemicals" at the bottom of pool math to give you an idea how much your CYA is affected by certain amounts of trichlor.

Thanks Scott! The pool was recently opened after a brutal winter and spring (probably a walk in the park for what you're used to) but lots of rain and snow diluting the pool. Usually it is opened at the beginning of May. Always have used Trichlor in a feeder (and powdered shock), but I am going to switch to liquid chlorine and save the Trichlor for when I am traveling.
I'll keep the CYA at 30 or above! Appreciate your guidance!

By switching to the TFPC you will notice a profound clarity to the water you have never experienced before and wonder... Why did I not search for TFP sooner?!

Welcome to TFP. You're going to love your *new* trouble free pool. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.