Pool level issues/possible algae

Jul 3, 2014
CA
hey guys, new member of the site here. just for a bit of background, i live in the Ontario, California area. my pool info is below. i HAD a pool company for the past couple years here and had some issues with them recently. mainly, i would constantly have to be calling them for pool issues i saw when they were supposed to be coming out weekly. they would never say anything about it until i brought these issues to their attention and eventually i got to the point where i just didn't want to use them anymore.

the last issue was algae related. i had seen some spots on the bottom of the pool that looked like dirt and it turned out to be (i believe) algae. again, weeks went by where they didn't say or do anything about it, only when i brought it to their attention did they try to fix the problem. so they tried to fix it (not exactly sure what they did, they said they shocked it but i don't know the specifics). eventually they said well the pool isn't showing that it has any chlorine in it despite the fact that we shocked it so you'll need to empty your pool and put new water in because the water isn't taking to the chlorine which is causing the algae to stay.

not saying they were wrong but by this point i was pretty annoyed with the entire thing so i advised them that i no longer wanted to use their service. i ordered the k-2006 testing kit from taylor. i did the testing today and it's not looking so hot. i followed the directions as they were in the manual so unless i screwed something up badly then these are accurate:

FC = 10.5
CC = .5
PH = 7.4
TA = 200 ppm
CH = 800 ppm (i did this test twice because i was kind of blown away by how high this was but again i followed the directions.... 32 drops X 25!)
CYA = Appox. 130 (again I did this test twice also because of how high it was.... i say appox. 130 because the kit starts from 100 and goes down from there, the water line is below the 100 mark so im guessing)

so there it is. i have read a bit online and i'm not sure what my options are. i would obviously prefer to NOT have to empty my entire pool and fill it back. beyond the cost involved for hiring someone to do this and the water bill it just seems like a waste.

i am also including a photo of what i BELIEVE to be algae. i don't know for certain. i have a steel bristle brush and what you see in the photos will not come out. i brush it repeatedly and nothing happens. there is one weird thing. when i said before that i thought it was just dirt, the algae problem was looking much worse than in the photos. there was a bunch in the deep end of the pool. i scraped it up with the steel bristle brush and it mostly all went away.... except for the type of algae (or whatever it is) that you see in the pics. it's not all over the pool but it is in a few spots here and there.

anyhow, any advice would be welcomed. this whole ordeal has gotten me to look into the chemistry of pool maintenance and i would like to handle this myself from now on but i also don't want to pour double or triple the money into it only to screw things up. thanks fellas!

IMG_0541.jpg

You've got black algae and it's because of your low FC. Your FC is low because you're running a very high CYA level and it's basically rendered your FC useless. You don't want to waste water on several partial drain/refills but how does triple the amount of chlorine sound to you? Pretty wasteful? It is compared to water. We only use unscented bleach here and I can't imagine spending all that money in bleach and hauling it when doing partial drains and refills can help you tremendously in the long haul. It's up to you though. I can assure you that if you don't keep an FC level of at the very least 18 and a SLAM level of 50-55ppm :shock: with your current CYA level of 130ppm, you will continue to have black algae. That is a lot of bleach.

Welcome to TFP!

With CYA>100, it is recommended to do the dilution CYA test as the CYA130 is a pure guess.

Fill with pool water to the lower mark on the mixing bottle and add tap water to upper mark. Cap and shake briefly to mix. Pour away half (so it goes back to the lower mark), add R-0013 and test as usual. Multiply result by 2 for a better ballpark on the CYA.
See also Extended test kit directions, post #8, step#9.

The only thing your pool company got right was advising a drain and refill.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
CH = 800 ppm (i did this test twice because i was kind of blown away by how high this was but again i followed the directions.... 32 drops X 25)
Recheck that Math again. I don't have one if front of me but I believe the Taylor CH test calls for a 25 ml pool sample and then the value of each drop is 10 ppm.......not 25 ppm.

I'm winging that a bit but check the math.

You won't screw up anything managing your own pool water. You'll be amazed at the insight you gain.

Everyone is here to help so keep reading and plan on draining about 1/2 of that pool so your CYA can be a helping parameter and not a hindering one.

black algae!? dang, i was reading that's the worst :/

anyways i guess i'll look into doing the draining. on one hand i feel like i should maybe hire someone to do the draining because i've never done it before and don't know all the rules/regulations about dispensing the water. on the other hand i know it will cost a lot more to hire someone and it doesn't sound like it's THAT hard.

my question is when draining the pool, i should only drain half of it? drain half and then deal with the black algae while the pool is drained, then refill it? thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
Recheck that Math again. I don't have one if front of me but I believe the Taylor CH test calls for a 25 ml pool sample and then the value of each drop is 10 ppm.......not 25 ppm.

I'm winging that a bit but check the math.

You won't screw up anything managing your own pool water. You'll be amazed at the insight you gain.

Everyone is here to help so keep reading and plan on draining about 1/2 of that pool so your CYA can be a helping parameter and not a hindering one.

i had actually done the 10 ml sampling because the instructions said in the event that you expect higher amounts you could do the alternative method and multiply by 25. i figured it was going to be high like everything else before that. i may do the test again just to make sure i didn't miscalculate though

800 is quite possible. I don't live far from you and that's what I get regularly.

Your best bet for getting rid of the water is to put as much on your yard as it will absorb. Neighbors, too.
Discharging it into the street where it will go in the storm drain is a no-no if it has any chlorine in it.
Best bet is to find your sewer cleanout and put whatever the yard can't absorb down that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.